Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Chicagoland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Chicagoland

Hey guys, I have enjoyed this site quite a bit over the last couple of months and decided to officially join.

Name is Hunter and I moved to Chicago to be with my wife Caitlin who is from here. We decided to settle down, have a child named J.R. (Johnny Roger) and moved to a western suburb named Elmhurst. With no great restaurants in our backyard like there used to be, I decided to take matters into my own hands and take up grilling. Already had an old (almost 20 years old) beat up Weber Kettle I took from my dad which I have used more in 3 months than I've used in 7 years since I've moved here. Also bought a 22.5 WSM which I've used 3x, first time with great success. Used the "Last Meal Ribs" recipe and score MAJOR brownie points with the in-laws and my wife. Second and third time, bit off more than I could chew with trying to control temperature on a new smoker in rainy/windy weather while trying to smoke pork butt. Both times tasted great, but took way longer than I thought.

I have a boatload to learn. Definitely a total newbie. Gonna do a practice brisket soon, wish me luck.

Here's my first time smoking (well, really anything at all) ribs from the "Last Meal Ribs" recipe. My father in law said I nailed it. Had a super dark bark, but tasted amazing. Overdid the breastbone, skirt, and tips...but who cares.Click image for larger version

Name:	First Time Ribs beforehand.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	177808 Click image for larger version

Name:	First Time Ribs.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	177809

And finally, here's me and my 7 month old son who by the time he gets teeth, I will hopefully know what I'm doing. This is a great website and brought me from complete idiot to now where I have enough knowledge to get better with practice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JR.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	177810

Cheers!

Welcome HJS

Comment

Welcome, Hunter!

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Chicagoan!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit HJS! We're glad you joined. Zero to hero is what you did with those ribs! Prepare to do more of it too. We're here to help so ask any questions.

Comment

HJS, Hunter, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance is Mandatory! Weber's are Great!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome from another Chicago transplant.

Comment

HJS - Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession! Nice rib cook.

That is one very cute Sous Chef! Get a shotgun!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit HJS! What cool intro post! It's nice to meet you and little J.R, what a handsome little guy! Thanks for your support here, and congrats on the ribs success. I think the usual right of passage into pitmasterhood was ruining several meals in the pursuit of what to do right, but Meathead has shaved months/years and thousands of dollars off of that. You're on your way!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Hunter. Great intro!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We are happy to have you here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! In a few years you can begin teaching your son BBQ secrets.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Hunter ! Happy to have you aboard. I use a WSM myself, the 18.5" version. Do you have a leave in thermometer? I use the Maverick 732, and it has really helped a lot. I find that my lid thermometer will be off as much as 30 degrees. This is not such a big deal for pork butt, but brisket loves the low and slow around 225, so great to know what the smoker is really running. Also, I'd check out the forum Grills and Smokers/Charcoal. There is some dandy information there on the WSM.. Soo's donut is very helpful for me in getting the temp. started off right and a great help in holding the temp. on the WSM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit HJS ... the ribs look great but that picture of you and your son is adorable.👌

Comment

Welcome to the pit Hunter, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here