Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another New Guy - Potkettleblack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another New Guy - Potkettleblack

Hello from the Albany Park neighborhood of Chicago.

I bought a condo here in February of 2015, and grill on my deck. Wood deck, so the insurance will not allow a charcoal grill. So, for the second time in my life, I am without a Weber 22" Kettle, which was my thing at previous apartments over the previous decade. So, now I'm grilling with gas, a Weber E-330, which I'm just starting to get good at using, after finding the site and rediscovering my Raichlen. I have a few ways of doing smoke, and a few ways to take temperature.

I kind of discovered cooking around the time I turned 30 (I'm 43 as I write this). My brother is a CIA trained chef who currently works as a salesman for Sysco. My dad, my uncle, my grandparents on my dad's side, all took an interest in cooking a wide variety of things for as long as I can remember, but I really found food around the time I turned 30. Since then, I've moved from Los Angeles, to St. Louis, the Alexandria, VA, to Chicago (the condo is our third place in Chicago, where we've been for 8 years). At any rate, I try to cook a lot, read a ton about cooking, and really, it's my main interest, away from work and sleep.

Last year, I did a lot of things sous-vide, which I finished on the grill. I've been doing sous-vide since 2011. I got very interested in modernist techniques, and using some scientific method to improve my regular recipes. Big fan of Kenji Alt-Lopez, ChefSteps and this site. The big takeaway I got from SV is that low and slow improves a lot of things, so now, going back to the live fire for more traditional low and slow. When the weather gets colder, will probably heat up the SV and go back to what I was doing last year. So far, this year, I've been producing some really great product. Ribs, pork chops, smoked chicken, some asian chicken skewers, S&G chicken leg quarters. Largely from going deep on this site, and picking up the Raichlen again.

Any rate, when I'm cooking, I'm a happier person, better to be around. I take a week off from work every year (not sure I'm gonna get it this year), and cook all manner of long projects. So, gonna make it a great summer, by firing up the grill every weekend.

I find that when I am doing something I love, I am better to be around as well.

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard Potkettleblack. Your introduction is great. We would love to see some photos of your cooks. See you around The Pit! No kettle...that's tough, but you'll make some great food on whatever you cook on.

Comment

Here's what I did this weekend. I also did S&G chicken, but no photos. This was a hybrid of the Pork Chop technique here, one that I found on another site, and my own swerve.

Comment

• martybartram
            martybartram commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking good!

Welcome Potkettleblack

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Potkettleblack - Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to the pit. We are happy to have you.

Comment

Welcome aboard Potkettleblack U B N da Q of things.

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Great intro, and even better username!! #jealous!

Comment

@Ptkettleblack, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory!
                      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Potkettleblack! Thanks for your support here, and yes, great intro! I'm planning to build a new deck, hopefully sooner than later, and I pray my insurance company doesn't find out I have 4 charcoal grills (and counting) on it. That would be tough in your case to have to go w/o! My condolences.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Testing out the image tips from the homework. These are some spares I did week before last. Couldn't find my iGrill2, but used my oven thermometer, but doesn't give the nice remote view of temp like the iGrill. Followed the Raichlen How to Grill process for KC style dry beef ribs, which he suggests using for BBRs or spares. Famous Dave's Rib Rub (the last of it... good for last year, not gonna cut it this year), simple vinegar mop of white vinegar and Famous Dave's Rib Rub. Used the A-Maze-N pellet tube with Myron Mixon "competition" blend pellets (aka I have no idea what kind of wood is in the pellets). I'm thinking that, given the Genesis, the placement of the Tube is kinda key. I first did a chicken, which got an acceptable amount of smoke with the tube in the middle of the grill and the chicken in the indirect on a vertical stand. The ribs were done with the tube on the warming rack. The ribs were very mildly smokey. The next idea is to either A: put the tube on the indirect side after getting it lit or put it down under, in the drip pan or on the flavorizer bars.

The circled rib is the one that my wife grabbed right away and nearly fainted while eating. You know it's true love when she let me have a bite. Excited to make another rack with MMD. Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	177492

Comment

• HouseHomey
                              HouseHomey commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My wife is not a huge BBQ fan but without MMD she refuses to eat ribs.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here