Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy Papa's BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy Papa's BBQ

Hello there. Well I have been smoking and cooking for several years on old off sets, the last 6 years with XL Green Egg, but i just achieved a 15 year dream and purchased a Lang 60 deluxe with the 40 char grill in front. Just had first cook yesterday.

So I am sure this has been discussed, but I am wanting to do some very limited part time catering/ fairs/ farmers markets... and I have NO CLUE what you need to do. I know you need a food card, business license, but that is all i know. The net talks about a separate kitchen for prepping meat? Totally lost, any help?

Welcome to The Pit Papa's BBQ ! Ncie to have you and your experience here. Congrats on the fine smoker! To get a wide angle intro to the commercial food service industry's ups & downs, please check out Meathead's article on the subject.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Papa's BBQ ... You have a great corral of cookers!

I'm not in the catering business but there are AR members that are. I'm sure those guys will contribute to your request for guidance.

Good luck on your new business venture and have fun in the Pit.

Got pictures of those cookers?

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! The pro chefs and caterers will be along shortly ...

Comment

Welcome Papa's BBQ

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Papa's BBQ

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Papa's BBQ! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome aboard Papa! Looking forward to some tastes of advice.

Comment

Welcome, Papa. Here in Texas any food sold or given to the general public has to be prepared in a kitchen which is inspected regularly by the Health Department. Your own local department can probably give you some guidance as to what is required.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We are glad you are here. I cook on a BGE.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Hey Papa, doing catering is fun, but there are a few things to do before you start. Cold and hot storage will cost you as much as the cooking apparatus, and cannot be omitted. Sanitation is also very important, but cheaper to accomplish and keep up with. Your food temps need to be below 40, and above 140. In between is verboten. As a long time pro(38 years), my experience is to really watch the logistics of every job. The cooking is the easy part, really. The setup, cleaning and re-cleaning, and storage is what separates the rock stars from the groupies, so to speak. This is not meant to dissuade you in any way, just to give you a heads up. It isn't that difficult to put this together, nor accomplish a good cater, but if you want to have the best food and guest experience, one needs to be aware of all this stuff.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here