Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New NorCal Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New NorCal Member

Hi,

My name is Randy. I live in Winters, CA. It's about 20 minutes from Davis. I've been a member here for at least a year, just never ventured into the forums. I own a cookshack electric smoker that I've had for 6-7 years. I loved the simplicity and the food always turned out great, even if it wasn't completely authentic. We are in the process of selling our house and moving to Arizona in a few months. Part of that move was getting rid of my gas grill that I had plumbed to a gas line on my patio. Since our stay in Arizona will probably only be a few years, our plan is to rent. Not wanting to go back to using propane tanks, I came back to amazing ribs to start researching charcoal grills. I stumbled across the Pit Barrel Cooker page and figured I'd give it a shot. I bought one locally last weekend and gave my gas grill away.

The first few cooks were limited to the easy stuff, ribs and chicken. I invested in a therma Q this week as well. Today is my first time using the therma q with the PBC while cooking a small brisket. I'm having issues with getting a tight seal with my lid and thus, issues keeping the temp down. That's actually what prompted me to come to the forums. I found some suggestions and im giving them a shot. If I can get the lid/temp issues resolved, the plan is to get rid of the cookshack. Once I get to Arizona and we have a house, I'm also getting a 26" Weber for the added cooking area. In the summer, we try to do entire meals on the grill(s).

I love to cook and also own a wood fired pizza oven, which is unfortunately staying with the house when we sell it. I'm beginning to research a new pizza oven, as pizzas are definitely my favorite thing to make. BBQ is a close second.

Now that I've made my first few posts, I expect to be back cruising the forums a lot more!

Randy

rrweather - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Randy!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Randy ! Happy to have you aboard. There is a ton of great information on the PBC. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain myself, got it last Christmas and like it. There are a lot of folks here with a PBC and have a lot of knowledge with it, so you are definitely in the right place.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to The Pit rrweather! You'll really like the 26" Weber.

Comment

Welcome rrweather

Comment

Welcome to The Pit rrweather ! Nice to have you here with us, thanks for your support. Sounds like you're a talented cook. I'm sure you'll get that PBC lid issue figgered out in a quick hurry.

I love pizzas but it's one thing I haven't ventured into making on my own. My BIL is moving into a new home he's building about a mile from me, and he's getting a wood-fired oven for his new yard. We've discussed how he'll be the pizza guy and I'll be the BBQ guy....I'm happy with that! (But I still plan to do a pizza or two on my offset soon enough).

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the pit.

Comment

Thanks all.

Pizzas were definitely the hardest thing I've ever made. My wife gives me hell saying I'm my own biggest critic. That said, learning to make half decent Neapolitan pizza was definitely steepest learning curve I've ever faced. I don't know that they're that good or I just have easy-to-please friends and family. I use an Italian sourdough starter and make dough from scratch. I've wasted and ruined many pizzas!

Hopefully I get the PBC dialed in. I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to new things. It's hard for me to relax and enjoy something until I've got a good handle on it. The PBC is no different. I offered the Cookshack to my 80 year old neighbor when we move so he can smoke his own salmon. That means I better figure out an alternative soon!

If your brother in-law has questions, www.pizzamaking.com has forums similar to these--passionate people wanting to help one another. Tell him to check it out.

Randy

O
                    Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                    Welcome to The Pit Guest ! Nice to have you here with us, thanks for your support. Sounds like you're a talented cook. I'm sure you'll get that PBC lid issue figgered out in a quick hurry.

I love pizzas but it's one thing I haven't ventured into making on my own. My BIL is moving into a new home he's building about a mile from me, and he's getting a wood-fired oven for his new yard. We've discussed how he'll be the pizza guy and I'll be the BBQ guy....I'm happy with that! (But I still plan to do a pizza or two on my offset soon enough).

Since this is your first post, please check out our http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/main/34780-new-members-please-read-here-s-your-homework-assignment"]homework assignment post for new members[/URL], it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

rrweather ... Welcome to the Pit👍

In view off the fact that you're a pizza fan... You might want to look in to a Kamado cooker. They are the Brick Oven of backyard cookers. If you want to bake your pizza at 500° or 800° or anywhere in between, no problem.

An Italian sourdough starter... Hmmm.

If you buy a sourdough starter kit and nurture it in your house, that starter will be invaded by the natural yeast on your hands, in your house and that is prevalent in your immediate area, your neighborhood. The local yeast will ALWAYS win because there are to just many of them.

Selling starter kits of sourdough starter's is the biggest RIP-OFF in the bread making market!!! Period!!!

For the reason I stated above... No matter where your starter kit comes from Italy, San Francisco, Bakersfield, Ca, your local yeast will invade it and take over your sourdough culture.

Making a sourdough culture/starter from scratch is so simple it's amazing to me that selling starter kits is a multi-million dollar business. They're simply capitalizing on interested newbie's lack of knowledge.

You can make an active sourdough starter in 2 weeks by using nothing but a cereal bowl, a spoon, flour, water and a digital scale and it will work EVERY time. It's that simple.😎

The reason most newbie's fail in their first attempt at creating a sourdough starter is that after they mix together equal weights of flour and water and let it start to work its magic... They get bubbles after about 3 or 4 days. They think woohoo I did it! Then... They start the dump and feed process and their starter quits making bubbles. They dump it and feed it for a few days, nothing happens, no bubbles, and they think it failed, they dump it out and give up.

What they don't know is... That culture was in the STALL. There are 2 very different bacteria in natural yeast. Once you feed them they activate and they're happy to be alive and eating. Then... Those 2 bacteria go to war to establish there position in the culture that is being created. During that period they quit doing what they normally do, which is create Co2 and alcohol, which creates the bubbles. So the culture goes dormant, no bubbles. The stall, the war will last about 5 to 7 days but if you dump and feed it every 24 hours... In 2 weeks you will be able to make a loaf of bread with that starter, or pizza dough.👍
                      Last edited by Breadhead; June 6, 2016, 12:25 AM.

Comment

rrweather Welcome to the Pit! When it comes to pizzas and baking Breadhead knows his stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the messages and tips. So far my sourdough starters have treated me well for the last few years. I guess if my pizza crust starts to taste like my back yard, I will know something is up!

Comment

• Breadhead
                            Breadhead commented
                            Editing a comment
                            😆...

rrweather, Randy, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance is Mandatory!
                          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here