Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Oregon

Hello everyone!!

Been a lurker here for the last couple of years, just as long as I have been smokin on the pellet smoker.

My first smoker purchase was a Traeger Tex. While it took about a year to learn its habits (it's been a great starter smoker), I definitely will be upgrading to the Mak. Not only is it well built and have that great app, they are made down the road. You know, something about buying local. In the last two years, I've tried about every pellet I could get my hands on and my top two are BBQ Delights and CookinPellets Perfect Mix. For the value, CookinPellets is by far the best.

Babybacks(Smithfield Prime seems to have higher fat content) are my goto for cooks, with a tweaked dry rub that I make sauceless. Cook at 150 for 3 hrs and 225 another 3. I've tried 3-2-1, wrapped in foil with honey, brown sugar etc, but always come back to the above method. I'll admit, I haven't tried the rub/sauce from this site, but plan to on this next go around. I just finished off my rub and sauce this last cook, so it's a good reason to try them. This process took me about 2 years to be happy with the finished product and shared with coworkers this last memorial day. I'm happy to say, I got the thumbs up from them.

I HAVE cooked up the turkey recipe from here this last Thanksgiving and am happy to say it turned out great. We had always deep fried them, so it's going to be a tough decision what we'll cook this next go round.

Sometime in the next two months, I'll be attacking brisket. I did my first flat last year and while it turned out good, It still needs some work. My local Costco is now finally carrying whole packers, at about the same price, so now that I've got the ribs down, it's time to go after the brisket.

Happy smoking!!

BTW: Anyone know how I can change my username, I misspelled it by one letter in my sleep deprivation.
    Last edited by dwysywd; June 5, 2016, 12:26 PM.

Welcome dwysywd

Comment

Welcome aboard! If you ask David Parrish ( David Parrish ), he might be able to help with the name change.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
        Welcome aboard! If you ask David Parrish ( David Parrish ), he might be able to help with the name change.

Thank you sir!! I sent him a PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard dwysywd! Nice introduction. See you around the Pit.

Comment

You will find the Pit to be lots of fun. Welcome!

Comment

@dwysywd - Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit dwysywd ! Happy to have you aboard.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to The Pit dwysywd! Nice to have you here. Thank you for your support. Do you still need your name changed or did Pit Boss handle it for you? I usually cook my ribs at 210-240 (I don't fret much about "225" necessarily) but on a couple occasions I've let them go low the first couple hours, say around 180ish, then up to standard cooking temps for the remainder and they turned out some mighty great ribs. Lower temps initially leads to a better smoke ring scientifically speaking, and I think an even more pronounced smoke flavor, especially with a pellet cooker. My experience is on a stickburner however.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Thanks Huskee! The pellet smokers don't put out enough smoke, so I've added the Amaz N Tube to supplement the smoke and keep temps low at the beginning. Puts out nothing like the sticks do.

I'm always up for free gear. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

dwysywd, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance is Mandatory!
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here