Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moresmoke1946

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moresmoke1946

Ni Sticky: I am New to the forum. Hello from Indiana. I am real interested in smoking meat. I have been doing Country Ribs and Pork Butts to a lot of friends approval for years. But I just can't get ribs to turn out to my liking. Need help from those that are good at it. I bough Meathead's book and have already found some good tips. But I need more direction from the experts.

Welcome to the Pit! What kind of ribs exactly ... and what will you be cooking on?

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. What are you cooking those ribs on?

Comment

moresmoke46 - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit moresmoke46 ! You are certainly in the right place to get the Info. you need for those ribs. Be it technique, hardware, spices or fuel, you'll find it here with these guys. I have been smoking since I got my Weber Smokey Mountain this past Christmas and am still learning new stuff all the time here.

Comment

Welcome moresmoke46

Comment

Welome moresmoke46, the more you are on this site the more addicted you will become. I am using a Lang to smoke ribs on but unfortunetly I am not all that proficient at it yet but I am getting better with every cook and I have learned most of it from the wonderful people on this forum.

Comment

moresmoke46, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit moresmoke46! We're glad you've joined up with us, thanks for your support. There are plenty of talented and gracious members here who'd love to help you nail ribs to your liking.

That said, what is it with your current ribs that you don't like and what is it you're looking for with them? Be specific with your current cook times, temps, rubs, etc so we can offer some tips for you. There are many ways to skin this cat and we can help get you where you want to be. As an example- the most common mistake folks will make with ribs is not cooking them long enough, which results in ribs being a tad tough and seemingly dry. Instinct tells us if they're tough that means they're overcooked (when in reality they're usually undercooked), so next time we do ribs we'll naturally cook them less time, to the same end result. Anyway, let us know what you want to achieve and we'll do our best.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

ribs are good!

Comment

Welcome aboard moresmoke46. As already said by others, give us all the details and we'll get you pointed in the right direction. Looking forward to having you around.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome messages. I am smoking on a Big Green Egg working with Spare Ribs. After reading Meatheads book and making a lot of notes I have made progress. Just yesterday I did a slab of ribs to top off all of those done in the past. My big improvements included better control of the temperature through reducing the amount of charcoal and wood I loaded. Also not turning the ribs while they were smoking seemed to really help. Finally, I stopped looking and let them cook. I was also making the mistake of not cooking them long enough. Yesterday we went a good 5 h ours at 225F with a little apple juice/cider vinegar/ spritz about every hour. Turned out good.

Still working but getting better. 4th of July should be a good test. Need to do 4 or 5 slabs for the family. Always open to more suggestions.

Thanks again.

Comment

moresmoke46 I cook on a Big Green Egg. You can fit 4-5 slabs with a rib rack. However if you want to cook them flat you will need a second raised grill. This web site offers some options for increasing what you can cook on the egg https://ceramicgrillstore.com/.

Comment

Thanks LA Pork butt. The rig for the second grill sounds neat. I checked out the website and it look neat. But I can't figure our how much the thing costs or how to order it. I guess I need to poke around on the site some more.

I have two BGE's. The moving company that moves us a number of years ago took my original BGE apart and broke the lower part of the smoker. I raised a case with the moving company and they bought me a new one. The I went out and bought the new bottom and now have two. What's better than one BGE -- Two BGE's

I will continue to look into the second level rack.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                              LA Pork Butt commented
                              Editing a comment
                              When you click on buy you will see the price.

Welcome to the Pit moresmoke46 ...

What size were those ribs you smoked on your BGE for 5 hours? I too smoke on a large BGE and if I'm smoking skinny ribs, like 2.5 pounders, those take about 5 hours. If I'm smoking 3 pound racks it takes about 7 hours at 225°, sometimes a little longer.

I cook until the bones are sticking out some and then I use the bend test to know when they are done.
                            Last edited by Breadhead; June 11, 2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here