Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Austin, TX; the BBQ capital of the world..or is it the music capital.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Austin, TX; the BBQ capital of the world..or is it the music capital.

I saw this site a couple of weeks ago and was impressed. Then I saw that a book was about to come out. I was hooked on the site so I bought the book. The last science book I bought was on baking bread and that opened my eyes to a lot of things so I figured this would be informative as well considering what I had already seen. I have been doing briskets for about 10 years now. The first summer I did so much brisket and experimenting that my daughters do not like BBQ that much anymore. I understand because I was raised on a chicken and since I was 13 I have not had a piece of chicken..or eggs in their natural form. I have been chicken free for almost 53 years. Cows however must smell their cousins on my breath because they run whenever I get close. I have a BGE and picked up a Traeger last year. Not real happy about that purchase. I like a heavier smoke taste.

BTW Meathead....LOVE THE BOOK!!! Thanks.

Uhhh, all you guys in North Carolina, Kansas City, Memphis, etc. just kidding OK............but we are coming on strong and fast.

Welcome!

Austin can arguably claim to be the music capital, but it is also the allergy capital of the world.

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      Allergies!!!, My first year down here I had a protracted cold. I finally HAD to go to the doctor who then proceeded to prescribe for me $500.00 worth of allergy medicine and told me had I waited longer I would have been admitted to the hospital. Luckily, my student insurance paid for the ordeal.

Welcome to The Pit hcforde! Great to have you here, thanks for your support. Wow, chicken-free for that long? I can understand a few years but wow.... Any chance you're going to try a nice spatchcocked bird on the grill soon and break that sabbatical? Mmmmm... doing one tonight myself.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      I know the chicken thing is all in my head so...thanks but no thanks. I am at peace with this psychosis!

Homework huh, OK!

Gold Medal....Metal, LOL!!!

hcforde - welcome to The Pit and welcome The Obsession!

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what my daughters say, "I AM OBSESSED"

Welcome hcforde

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, much appreciated

hcforde Welcome to the Pit!! We are happy to have you. Austin is a great town! Both great music and QUE!!

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      SXSW makes for a crazy 10 days

Welcome to the Pit! Central Texas has some of the best BBQ!

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      It is like a compendium of styles. For Beef ribs though "BLACKS" out of Lockhart, TX has it nailed. We even have a "BLACKS" family rivalry here in Austin now.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      hcforde I haven't tried the beef ribs at Black's. I thought the sausage was great, and the clod at Smitty's was better than brisket. My standard for beef ribs is Pecan Lodge in Dallas.

Welcome aboard hcforde. What size BGE do you have - a Large??

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! I think I will use the Traeger for grilling only. And for things that don't require smoke. That way I don't have to heat the kitchen during our hot Texas summers.

hcforde, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory! Some Day when You are Old Enough I will tell youabout the Texas Farmer and the ND Farmer who met each other the 1st Time a the Big Ag Show!
    Remind Me!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      How old do I have to be!! I'll be 66 next month ...don't wait too long, LOL!!

You produced Bob Schneider so I'm happy

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      Ever been to SXSW?

Welcome hcforde, I'm a pretty recent member of the Pit living in Austin, too. Considering how much better my food's been turning out lately I wish I'd joined when I first found Amazing Ribs!

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe we should meet and have some "Q" somewhere. Somewhere neither of us has been.

• JDenver
      JDenver commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be cool. What part of town do you live in? I live far South - next to Manchaca off 1626.

Welcome to The Pit hcforde . Went to school in Austin and get back there whenever I can!

Comment

• hcforde
      hcforde commented
      Editing a comment
      I came here from Michigan to get my MBA in 1987 and ....STAYED!

Welcome hcforde Austin is pretty much my second home.
    I'll take Micklethwait craft meats over any BBQ joint.

Comment

• JDenver
      JDenver commented
      Editing a comment
      My favorite part of going to Mickelthwait is driving past the line to Franklins and ordering delicious food much faster - even though I am a fan of Aaron Franklin. I've also become a big fan of Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ on Brodie. I love their pulled pork sandwich.

If food and music weren't enough, you have the US Gran Prix. The only Formula One race in the US. Hopefully it will quit raining in Texas before this years event. Last year was almost a washout. Anyway, a big welcome to the Pit!

Comment

What part of MI did you hail from hcforde? Ahhh 1987 in Michigan, I was a kid, Def Leppard was on the radio, and everyone I loved was still alive....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here