Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie to the forum/ Time to take my BBQ to another level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to the forum/ Time to take my BBQ to another level

Hi Everyone,

After drooling will watching all the BBQ shows on TV the past few years, I had started trying to slow cook with wood pouches on my gas Weber Genesis, experiment with injections and rubs. I had been looking to get a low & slow smoker. As a Father of 5 we are always looking to save a few bucks and their is no better way then buying big hunks of meat. Traveling in Software Sales for 20+ years, I have had great BBQ from Texas to the Carolina's. It has always been fun to travel then return home to Cleveland and try to cook what I just ate.

As the weather broke here in C-town I build a small brick wood fire grill and made the best steaks I ever had. With Father's Day approaching I had my window to purchase a smoker. I had been leaning towards the Pit Barrel. I went to Heat Exchange patio shop and was introduced to the pellet grills and other smokers. I had pooh-pooh'ed pellet grills because I wanted real wood. As I played with my wood fire grill I realized cooking over wood was a lot more work then i expected.
    My wife and I loved the sound of the Green Mountain Grills and the wifi connectivity. I went home and did my research on the Traeger's at Costco, the Factory direct RecTec and the GMG. I settled on the GMG and purchased it last weekend.

Jumped in with both feet with a rack of KC ribs and a brisket flat. I injected the flat with beef broth and dusted with salt/pepper. I used the GMG Fruit pellets.
    The ribs where pre-rubbed from costco. My first brisket turned out pretty good. It looked like it had a great smoke ring(pic) but we couldn't taste the smoke. The ribs where really fatty and over cooked on the thin end.
    I Spend this week watching Frankiln BBQ videos and purchased the Meathead book. I'm on my way.

Pork butt and Brisket #2 this weekend!

Thanks for the knowledge!

Bigred4343
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard and good luck on your next cook!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard bigred4343 and congrats on the GMG!

Comment

• bigred4343
          bigred4343 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Welcome to the Pit! You are now enrolled in BBQ University!! 😎👍👍

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. We are happy to have you. looks like your already off to a great start.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit bigred4343 ... Nice cook it looks great. You ought to buy some pork butts. It's inexpensive and tastes great if you smoke it right. Your 5 kids will love your pulled pork sandwiches. Then you can use the leftover meat on Taco Tuesday's. All kids like tacos.👍

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, BR!

Comment

Welcome bigred4343

Comment

Welcome to The Pit bigred4343! Nice to have you here, thanks for your support. Sounds like you'll fit in around here quite nice You're not the first to comment on the light smoke flavor from a pellet grill, although some say it's quite adequate for them. Pellets burn so efficient that it's hard to get enough 'dirty' smoke to give it an intense flavor.

I'd like to point you to our video interview with Dr Greg Blonder on working with smoke and its different types, and the one with Candy Sue Weaver, a pro in the BBQ world whose video interview is mainly about pellet cooking. Really I'm only doing so because we're taking about it now, to give you some science behind it, but mainly to point you to some of our members only exclusives from the start.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

bigred4343, Welcome to The Pit! You are in the BBQ Univ Now! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

bigred4343 - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, you are at the rite place to up your game. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here