Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John here from hot and dry Las Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John here from hot and dry Las Vegas

Hey guys been lurking here for about a week reading every article I could get my greedy hands on. Decided I wanted to support the site so here I am. Total noob at smoking though I am pretty decent on the grill and a good amateur cook in the kitchen. Looking forward to you guys helping me eat well.

Greetings, John ... welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Hey wood man. I just watched "For a Few More Dollars" on YouTube.... It is DRY out west out there!

Comment

Welcome hocash

Comment

hocash - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession! We look forward to your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            Hey wood man. I just watched "For a Few More Dollars" on YouTube.... It is DRY out west out there!

It's a great place to live as long as you don't mind dry skin.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha My sister lived in Alamogordo New Mexico for some time. Parents freaked at how dry it was, especially compared to WET southwest Louisiana.

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not gonna say it is dry, but you can feel the boogers start to grow as you step off the plane.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you talk about boogers on AR?😁

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

hocash Welcome to growing in the Pit! What do you cook on and what is your favorite thing to cook?

Comment

Welcome to the pit and get ready to learn. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
                  hocash Welcome to growing in the Pit! What do you cook on and what is your favorite thing to cook?
                  I'm a total newbie. I just purchased a Smoke Vault 24 but it doesn't arrive until Thursday or Friday. I've just been doing a lot of research. My favorite thing to cook is meat. Used Thomas Keller's rib rub and made tasty pork ribs in the oven. But wanted to branch out. I know purists like just the meat and rub - and I often do as well. But it's nice to make a sandwich or try different kinds of sauces. Maybe incorporate my Asian heritage as well by pairing BBQ with noodles or rice somehow.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Use a drip pan and you should be able to make some very tasty spaces and glazes from the juices you catch.

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hocash The Pit is a great place to explore new things. To a total newbie I would recommend doing a Boston Butt. It is the most forgiving piece of meat. Trim the fat cap, put on a thick rub and smoke it for 12 + hours @ 225.

Welcome to the Pit hocash ...

You have a neighbor in the Pit that is a smoking/grilling expert that could probably speed up your learning curve. He goes by boftx on AR. If I were you I would cozy up with him and I'm sure you will cooking some killer Que shortly.👍

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the shout out!

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    👍...

• hocash
                    hocash commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks!

Welcome!

As Breadhead pointed out, I'm also in Vegas (North Las Vegas to be precise). Any time you want prime meat such as steaks go to John Mull's meats. Otherwise, your local Smith's or Albertson's is just fine. I usually get good deals on pork butts, tri-tip and full packer briskets at Albertson's. Smith's usually has better ribs and also has good pork butts and picnic arms.

I've never used a smoke vault (I prefer a stick burner) but I can tell you now that as long as you have a Mav ET732 (or 733) you will be an expert in no time at all.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I trust my Mav and Thermapen. But I also always have 2 extra probes on hand for the Mav. They will go bad eventually and read very different than what the real temp is. And to be honest, it doesn't make a lot of difference between 225 and 250 for cooking temp.

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hocash, I use a Mav 732 as well. I tested all of my probes, even a brand new one out of the package, and they all tested about 7 degrees high, compared to my thermapen, and mt two RT600c. I figure that as long as I know that, I am good to go! the Mav 732 is a good rig for the money.

• hocash
                    hocash commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah no complaints on the 732. As long as I know it's a little hot I can compensate.

hocash, Welcome to The Pit! You have just enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome! The addiction is real!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit hocash! Nice to have you here. I believe I recognize your username from the Disqus comments from the free site?

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• hocash
                        hocash commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Huskee. Yeah I use the same username on Disqus. Glad to be here!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here