Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Smoking

I'm Mike Norris, Whitey to my friends, I live in Granbury in the great state of Texas. I have used a gas grill for years and am in the midst of having an outdoor kitchen put in. While shopping for a grill and side burner the guy showed me the Jim Bowie pellet grill and convinced me I needed it, now I have to learn to use it. While,reading up about the grill I read that it doesn't put out a great deal of smoke. My question is should I consider buying a pellet smoker tube. Any advice you might have to a new pellet grill user would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome (Whitey)

Comment

If you have used a gas grill with chips, you'll be fine with results cooking with pellets. Mostly it's folks that like to burp smoke rings that don't think pellet cooking gives you plenty of smoke. I'd use it, try different fuels (B&B pellets at Academy would be good to try) before making modifications to your Jim Bowie.

Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit (Whitey)! Congrats on the new outdoor kitchen and the pellet grill. If you would, post some pictures of your outdoor kitchen and cooks.

Comment

(Whitey), Welcome to The Pit! You have just enrolled in the BBQ Univ! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I like pronounced smoke flavor and have yet to find a pellet smoker that didn't deliver der schmoke!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit (Whitey)! Nice to have you here, thanks for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

(Whitey) - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Greetings, Whitey ... welcome to the Pit!

Comment

The Jim Bowie puts out plenty of smoke at the low temps used for smoking (225-275) at higher temps, it will produce less smoke, but still far more than any gas grill will,lol. Not really much to learn with pellet grills. Set your temp, and walk away, it's literally that easy. That's why so many are being converted these days, and I read that it's the fastest growing segment of the industry.

Comment

Welcome Mike. I think you will find the people here are friendly and very helpful.

Comment

(Whitey) welcome to the Pit. I just moved to Dallas.

Comment

Welcome to the pit Whitey, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ. Enjoy your pellet grill, I know I enjoy my Camp Chef.

Comment

Welcome to BBQ University, Whitey!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit (Whitey)! We're glad you're here. When smoking low and slow pellet cookers put out plenty of smoke. It's temps around 300 or so where the smoke is much less pronounced. Often for hotter cooks you're not looking for a lot of smoke flavor anyway, so I think you'll be fine with the Jim Bowie and won't need the pellet tube.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here