Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stopped In For A Slurpee and Walked Out With A Hobby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopped In For A Slurpee and Walked Out With A Hobby!

Hi everybody, here's my brief story on how I got into Barbecue.

Four years ago, after picking up my 6 yr old from school, we were passing a 7/Eleven .. 'Hey dad, how about a Slurpee' ... 'Sure son' ...

As I was walking in the store, I saw a big sign 'You Could Win a Big Green Egg' - Enter Here!

Well, I did .. and 4 months later I received a notification that I was the winner of a Large BGE ... Holy Smoke, I didn't even know what a BGE was ...

My co-workers laugh and tell me, 'Tim, you walked in for a Slurpee and walked out with a hobby' ... and I've been hooked ever since.

Tim / Chatsworth Ca

That is crazy and awesome!

Welcome!!

Comment

What a great story. Fortunately you found the place to learn how to use that BGE too. Welcome to The Pit SoCalTim !

Comment

Welcome SoCalTim

Comment

Hello from Hermosa Beach, Ca.

What a nice story. You AND your son will enjoy that cooker FOREVER. They last a lifetime if you take care of them. You might have to replace some of the metal parts after about 10 years but parts are easy to acquire.

Welcome to the Pit SoCalTim ...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Tim ... and congrats on that Egg!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I am a BGE owner, and before that I owned a Original Kamado (non ceramic) from Japan for 25 years before it gave up the ghost. There are some great BGE guys in the pit with lots of suggestions for better cooks. If I ever win a cooker my surprise will be a holy smoke, too.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm so excited to be here!

Tim

Comment

Congratulations and welcome to your new life. It'll never be the same!

Comment

SoCalTim ...

Learning to cook on a ceramic cooker is really a daunting task, at least it was for me.

The very first question I ever asked on the AmazingRibs.com website, long before the Pit was created, was... "Why can't I cook a good steak on this new cooker I have?" Meathead himself answered that question.

His answer to me was... "Because you can't get your steaks close enough to the red hot lump coal to sear them properly."

Having grilled enough on other cookers before acquiring my BGE I knew exactly what he was talking about and... I knew he was dead right!

Meathead told me I owned a really good outdoor oven that was really good for baking pizza and bread and that it was a pretty good smoker. I deducted that it's weakness was in grilling.

Now... Here I am 5 years down the road of using the reverse sear technique on my BGE and I can GRILL the perfect steak, pink bumper to bumper with a great crust, as ANY other grill can.

Figuring out how to bake your steaks at 225°/250° for the first part of the cook until they reach 115°/120° and then drop them down to 1 or 2 inches from really, really hot lump coal is the trick.😆
                    If you're curious how to pull that off... Feel free to ask.👍

Comment

SoCalTim, Welcome to The Pit! You have just enrolled in the BBQ Univ! That takes care of the Niceties, let me get your Story Straight! Your 6 Yr old Son was Thirsty? You Pull Over So He Can Buy a Slurpy? They were Putting Customer Names in For a Drawing? You Put Your Name in instead of Your Son's? This is aggregious Fraud by You Against Your Son! The Prosecution Rests! 😙🤔😇🤔😙
                      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit SoCalTim! Nice to have you here, thanks for your support. What a cool story! You get repaid for being a cool dad! I won a go-kart once, when I was probably 13.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Originally posted by Danjohnston949 View Post
                          SoCalTim, Welcome to The Pit! You have just enrolled in the BBQ Univ! That takes care of the Niceties, let me get your Story Straight! Your 6 Yr old Son was Thirsty? You Pull Over So He Can Buy a Slurpy? They were Putting Customer Names in For a Drawing? You Put Your Name in instead of Your Son's? This is aggregious Fraud by You Against Your Son! The Prosecution Rests! 😙🤔😇🤔😙
                          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Dan, oh wow - I hadn't even thought of that scenario, I guess it is HIS egg.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                            Danjohnston949 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            SoCalTim, Aah Hell Tim, by the time he gets to taking any law courses the Statute of Limitations will probable resolve the Problem for You! From Fargo ND, Dan

Glad you're here SoCalTim! Great story and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Welcome to THE PIT. Now you are an Egghead--(That's a compliment)

Comment

• Skip
                              Skip commented
                              Editing a comment
                              @SoCalTim---be sure to start buying accessory gadgets for your BGE like mad like most of do so that you don't feel left out here in The Pit

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here