Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rc451

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rc451

I have been cooking meat outside for over 40 years. I decided it was time to start bar-b-queing. I don't care right now about cooking anything. I am just so happy that my smoker has maintained 225 for over 8 hours without touching a thing once I set it. I was able to do it after reading and studying your wsm set up instruction. On day three I'm trying a brisket. The bride was at the store and asked her to pickup a brisket. She brought it home and I thanked her. Then I read about the different cuts of brisket. Well my first try will be with a hof, who knew, well I do now thanks to your info. Life is good and I plan to bring my standards way up when it comes to smoking and grilling. Might even sign up for Soo's class. Thanks for the info and it is already the best money I've spent in quite awhile.

Welcome RC451

Comment

Welcome! Smoke on, my bro, smoke on!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit RC451! Great to have you here. Nice work getting such good control of your WSM, can't wait to see pics of that brisket flat!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit RC451. Glad you're here!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit and ever improving cooks.

Comment

RC451, Welcome to The Pit! You and I must be about the Same Vingage! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• RC451
                RC451 commented
                Editing a comment
                well aged

Welcome to the tastiest addiction around $

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit RC451! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit RC451 . Congrats on the steady temps on your smoker. That will definitely help you with your brisket.

Comment

Welcome to the pit RC451 !

Comment

I can see that the laws of mathematics cease to exist when it comes to cooking times or maybe better yet the best laid plans of mice and men.
                          Approximate 12 hour cook time doesn't include rolling out of bed preparing the meat and starting the fire getting to the right temperature. So if you want to eat around 1800 subtract 12 and start at 0600. That's how it was in the third grade. Well I started at 0600 and finished at 2300. I can see that maintaining the 225 is just part of the process. Time management is the second leg of the triangle. Then we venture to find the third leg of the triangle, ingredients. You can use what you have around the house. Oh that looks good, I like it on my steaks. I bet it will be just as good on my brisket. Well it was pretty darn good, it had just a little draw back, maybe a tad to much pepper for most tastes (Grill Mates -Montreal Steak Seasoning). You could make some killer chili with my brisket recipe. Lets just say I will be mixing my own next time around using one of the fine recipes I've seen while researching this site.
                          The unfortunate part of finishing your brisket at 2300 hours is it's kinda late to sit down and really enjoy it (ok at 21 yes but with a whole lotta water under bridge the old stomach uses a lot more pepto) However I had to try it so I cut myself off a piece and one for the bride. I gotta say that was one moist piece of meat, I was pleasantly surprised, I just knew that it was going to be dry and like shoe leather.
                          So to start from the beginning. I slathered the meat using mustard and the steak seasoning and put it on the smoker by 0820. I'm on the west coast and we have access to old wine barrel chips so I used them as my smoking material. I probably used about a half a pound and looking back I'd bump that up so there was more smoke production in the first couple hours. I have a tendency to think if a little is good ..... well you know the rest. So in the past I've over smoked my meat, I'm gonna need some guidance and research here. I was able to maintain the temp around 225 it bumped to 250 for a while, but I was able to keep it close most of the time. At 2030 hours I was in the stall at about 163, now I know what the stall means, reading about it is one thing but experiencing it is another. Up to this point I had not used the Texas crutch because I wanted to at least cook without so I could understand the process. Well I didn't know how long the stall would last and the temp outside was dipping into the 50's. So I preheated my oven to 225 set my probe at 203 wrapped the meat tight with the probe wire coming out and off to oven I went. It finished a hour and a half later. I set the oven to 170 and prepared for the hold. I put it on hold for an hour. The piece I cut off was tender and juicy. My investment here has definitely paid off, I would have destroyed that piece of meat it truly would have been a meteor. Thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	160533 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	160534

Comment

RC451 - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here