Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from North East Wisconsin...BBQ wasteland...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from North East Wisconsin...BBQ wasteland...

I'm a displaced Texan who moved to Appleton 8 years ago for work. I lived in Austin so I didn't have to learn the art of BBQ since it was at my doorstep to be had. Then we moved to Wisconsin and there was NO BBQ at all. I started reading and making a LOT of mistakes and threw away pounds and pounds of meat and wanted to give up many times. I stuck with it and things started to improve the more I read and the less rushed and complicated I made things. There have been a few smokers and grills I have used over the years but my favorite so far is a Yoder 640 on a competetion cart. I just sold my green egg which served me well and went to this smoker to give it a shot. So far I have had great results. I'm always learning and reading and "borrowing" ideas in the quest for some bragging rights BBQ. The people I have fed up here are impressed but then again...there is no real BBQ up here for them to compare it to. Thanks for the great site and I will be reading the ideas here and adding to my arsenal!

Joe

welcome to the pit. i'm in madison and there are a few good bbq places around me.

have you been to the appleton beer factory?

Comment

Welcome Hardage

Comment

Welcome!!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! BBQ, may not be good in NE WI, but football is!!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Hardage . Convert those cheeseheads to BBQ fans my Texas friend!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
                welcome to the pit. i'm in madison and there are a few good bbq places around me.

have you been to the appleton beer factory?

A few times. It's okay but not knock your socks off. For some reason, Green Bay or the Suamico area keep getting all the new places that are good. Appleton just seems to get mainly the chain type places and even some of them can't stay in business. There was a guy a few years ago that tried to get a BBQ place going but his location was terrible. I don't think anyone but me knew it was even there. Now it's Famous Dave's or Dickey's and that's it. No unique joints. Plenty of fried Tavern food though if that's your bag.

I am slowly corrupting a few of my employees into BBQ insanity. Both of them have bought smokers and both are starting to learn my rib recipe for baby backs. They missed the first few tries but this last time they say they nailed it. Now it's on to a nice pork butt recipe for them to learn. I might have them try whole chickens next, then beef ribs, then the grail...brisket.

I'm still learning but it helps me to get better by trying to teach others what I have learned and how not to make so many mistakes like I did along the way.

Comment

• DeusDingo
                  DeusDingo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i've never eaten at the beer factory except cheese curds. i thought their beer was quite good is what i was getting at.

Welcome to the Pit! I've eaten BBQ in Lockhart, so I know what you mean about great BBQ. I've had the spare ribs at Famous Dave's which I thought were pretty good. I've also eaten at a umber of places written up in Southern Living which we really disappointing. Keep working your craft, as they say the best BBQ is in someone's backyard.

Comment

Welcome to the addiction! !

Comment

Welcome to the pit Joe, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Dude, so great to hear you are amping up the BBQ factor in your neck of the woods!

Comment

Welcome to the pit and welcome to Wisconsin. If it's cheese you're looking for you're in a good place, BBQ, good luck.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Hardage! Thanks for your support here. It's great to see folks bringing good BBQ north!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Hardage - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here