Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Central California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Central California

Belated introduction here. I've been a member for almost a year, but haven't done my homework yet. Live in Fresno, CA. Fairly new to serious barbecuing, but I've smoked various things with some success. We have a barbecue coming up this weekend. My wife invited a bunch of co-workers, so there could be anywhere from 15 to 25 people showing up. I haven't cooked for that many people before. I plan to do some last meal ribs, tri-tip (that's big here in Central California) and hot links. Hopefully it will be enough to go around. Almost everything I know about barbecuing comes from this site. So I appreciate all the good information.

Mike

Forgot to mention, I'm a little nervous about the cook-out this weekend. But I plan to follow the recipes and instructions to a "T," and hopefully everything will work out right. We're expecting awesome weather, so maybe that's a good sign!

Comment

Welcome Wedunne

Comment

Thanks, Darrell. I have a nephew and niece in Kentucky. I don't know what part of the state, but they could be in your neck of the woods. My nephew's a truck driver, too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard Wedunne! You'll do great with your cook. Last meal ribs are one of my favorites, along with pulled pork.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Good luck on your cook outFollowing instructions helps. I only did a tri-tip once, but it wasn't California style. I have always found Boston Buttt's safe and forgiving for a crowd. What are you cooking on?

Comment

Wedunne, Welcome to The Pit! I had to ask at the Iocal meat market to show me a Tri-Tip. I was a flunky in my folks meat market when I was a Kid, Tri-Tips weren't part of a beef back then? I agree with LA Pork Butt, Boston Butts have been my Go To for Larger Cooks! Your only worry then is Time Mgm't read up on the use of a faux cambro, to hold your meat if done early! Have a great BBQ! 👍👍🍀👍👍
                Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
                Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 15, 2016, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Signed,
                  Former Freznoid

Comment

Wedunne - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

For a group the size you're talking about, pulled pork is always a cost effective solution.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
                      Welcome to the Pit! Good luck on your cook outFollowing instructions helps. I only did a tri-tip once, but it wasn't California style. I have always found Boston Buttt's safe and forgiving for a crowd. What are you cooking on?
                      I have 2 (relatively cheap) gas smokers and a decent Charbroil infrared grill to finish them up on. I tried the last meal ribs last month. They turned out pretty well, except I took them out of the smoker too soon. They were okay, but the meat was still sticking to bone a bit. I needed to go back and re-read about how to test for done-ness.

Comment

Originally posted by CeramicChef View Post
                        Wedunne - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

For a group the size you're talking about, pulled pork is always a cost effective solution.
                        Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind next time. My wife told everyone I'm doing ribs, so it's too late to change the menu now.

Comment

Welcome to the pit Wedunne ! If you follow the guides here, all will be well....

Comment

Welcome Wedunne. You will be fine with the ribs bro ifin ya foller the directions as you said you would. I am an early birder like you & find you are never steered wrong on this site. Do let us know how it went. Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I'm sure you'll do fine with the ribs if you stick to Meathead's recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here