Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone. I'm a brand new member of the site. I'm a newbie to the smoking/grilling world. I borrowed a co-workers smoker, made some ribs, and fell in love! Any advice to a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Anything from equipment to use to smoking/grilling tips. Thanks! I look forward to being a part of this world.

Welcome, Joe!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Here is what I would advise. Be clear about what and how you want to cook. How much versatility do you need in a cooker. Smoke 225-275, Roast or Bake 300-400, Grill 400+? There are a ton of dedicated cookers out there that can do one thing really well, but crossing over to other areas is more of a challenge. Some do it better than others. If you are interested in smoking you might want to consider how much time you want to spend tending the fire. Again some cookers require little attention while others require greater attention. Secondly, once I have made those decisions I would go for the best quality I could afford. When considering what you can afford evaluate the cost of all the add ons and whether you need them immediately or you can grow your way into them over time. I cook on a Big Green Egg and a Weber Jumbo Joe. the Egg is a ceramic cooker and Weber is the leading maker of quality quality kettle grills. If you can afford a ceramic and want its' extrodinary versatility cooker, that's the way I would go. If you can't afford the ceramic I would go with a 22" or 26" Performer kettle and add a SlowNSear. I am sure other guys will weigh in on their preferences. While debate can rage about the quality of the food on cookers, I think once a person learns their cooker they can get good quality. Visiting the Pit regularly and asking questions can help you do that. Glad you are in the Pit and hope what everyone shares will lead you to a decision that can make you happy.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, Joe. Read the articles and use the recepies on this site, and you'll look like a grilling genius.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Joe_Gardner1981! Nice to have you here. Yeah, you're in a great place to be a pro soon enough...at least to convince those whom you feed that you're a pro! Welcome aboard.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Hi Joe ... welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Joe_Gardner1981, Welcome to The Pit! Joe as you are aware there are Lots of Ways to Blow Smoke, the good news is the people you will find here on this Site all would be Happy to Help You!
              They might "RIB"(sic) You now and then in Good Fun!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Joe_Gardner1981 . You couldn't be in a better place as a newbie and, with a little study, your status should change soon. Make sure you invest in a good thermometer with double probes to monitor the smoker and meat. Also, if you get in to the discipline of using a cooking log (see Meathead's version on this site) you will get up to speed very fast. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Joe_Gardner1981! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome Joe_Gardner1981

Comment

Welcome to the pit Joe, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here