Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good morning from East Yorkshire, Englan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning from East Yorkshire, Englan

Good Morning all,

I'm Mike, I currently live on the wrong side of the Pennines being based in East Yorkshire (born in Lancashire... if you know about old English county rivalries!). I've got a beautiful wife, Laura and 3 kids who don't let me sleep enough!

When our third was due in late September last year I decided my last treat to myself would be a new BBQ. I've always loved outdoor cooking, and when I was growing up I've got great memories of family BBQ's while we were camping either round England, or on the continent, particularly France and Spain, but in fairness none of my previous BBQ's were capable of much more than burning food, they didn't even have a lid! The BBQ I had at the time also could barely cook enough food for 4

Anyway since most places were having their end of season sale I treated myself to a Weber one touch premium and have been looking to up my game considerably. I managed to do some beer can chicken last year (OK I've read the science and now know that a beer can isn't the best thing to prop the bird on) before the weather went too wet and cold for me to try anything else.

So far this year I've done the obligatory grilling of sausages and burgers, and a couple of weeks ago discovered Meathead's Memphis Dust and tried grilling my favourite cut of ribs (basically leaving the belly pork on for extra meaty goodness). That was great! I've now had a long chat with my local butcher and found a print out of what exactly a 'Boston Butt' is (they had no idea!) and next time I'm home for a weekend I'm going to do proper pulled pork (hey what the hell I'll be at a 0600 hrs with the kids so why not set the pork off then too!).

I guess what I'm looking for at the moment is a great sauce recipe, so I'm going to try a few of those soon as well!

Anyway that turned out a bit longer than I'd planned but never mind... hope no one fell asleep at their desk!

Mike

Morning Mike! Another Englishman, lovely!

The KC Classic BBQ sauce by MeatHead is very good, works lovely with pork and you can change a few things about to get it how you like it too. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...BBQ_sauce.html

Also, I've found that if you strain the sauce at the end, the onions and garlic are amazing on the bottom of your pulled pork bun!

Comment

Great to hear there's another Englishman on here!

now thats sounding interesting. I was wondering did you make your own steak sauce for that recipe or did you use HP (or another brown sauce). I'm allergic to mushrooms so the steak sauce recipe on the site isn't good for me. I'd be interested to know the results with HP sauce if you used it!

Comment

• MattBilling
        MattBilling commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! HP sauce all the way. Gives it a little bit of peppery tartness.

Hey there! I'm not from England, but I am also a Mike. It's not everybody's favorite, but here in North Carolina we love our vinegar-based sauce on the pork. I also love mustard based sauces...and many others. BUT, if you like a little tart and a little hot, check out this recipe on the website, I've made it a couple times and it ranks right up there with the best I've had locally. Good luck on your cook, I look forward to hearing about it!
      http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...BBQ_sauce.html

Comment

Tart and hot sounds good to me... my wife on the other hand prefers a little sweeter sauces. Sounds like the answer to me is to cook two racks of ribs and two different lots of sauce!

Think I will give that one a try!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here