Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Valley of the Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the Valley of the Sun

I'm from Phoenix where everyday is good for cooking on the grill. I have been grilling for many years now but I am looking to take it to the next level. I currently have a Weber Genesis S330 which is awesome for weekday cooking with work and two kids. I also have a Super Cajun Grill. I have made some good food on it but is a lot of work to maintain temp and is a charcoal guzzler. I am looking to purchase and new grill and have been debating on whether to go all in on a Komado Joe Big Joe or keep is cheap with a WSM, PBC, and/or Weber kettle. I look forward o utilizing the resources on this great site to help me make my decision and find some great recipes and techniques once I do.

BloomHybrid - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

I'm a kamado cooker myself. You won't do much better than the Kamado Joe for the price. Kamados are the most versatile cookers you can put on your patio. Get the kamado; you will ever be sorry.

Comment

Welcome BloomHybrid! We're glad you're here. Share with everyone what your name means?

Comment

Welcome and thanks for the support!!

How many are you cooking for? A kettle with Slow 'n Sear will do plenty for a small family.

Comment

Welcome BloomHybrid

Comment

Welcome to The Pit BloomHybrid.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit BloomHybrid! Nice to have you here, thanks for your support. My advice is to start on the less expensive side of things, then add more upscale equipment as the need arises. You can make killer BBQ on ANY device you listed, but a kettle is least pricey and turns out top quality product for a small family like Jerod said. The PBC isn't too pricey and has great capacity. The kamado would be the Rolls Royce of your options, surely you'd love it too. They all have their unique qualities and drawbacks though, which must be weighed carefully to avoid buyer's remorse.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

BloomHybrid, Welcome to The Pit! Good Luck on your search for a new cooker! I predominately use Weber Kettles but not exclusively!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. We are glad your here.
                  BloomHybrid I own a PBC and a Kamado. They are very different beasts. The PBC takes the cake on volume and brisket cooks. You just can't get a huge packer brisket, let alone multiple, in most Kamados. Obviously there are exceptions. A Primo XL, XXL Green Egg, XL Kamado Joe, all the larger Komodos, will fit one but your looking at 4 times the price for one of those rigs. I bought my PBC so that I could do briskets and shoulders in higher volume. That being said, I don't really think of the PBC as practical for grilling or much else other than doing briskets and shoulders. Sure you can grill on them, but I would much rather grill on my Kamado or my SNS. The PBC is an awesome cooker, for certain tasks. However, I would agree with CeramicChef , Kamados are the most versatile cookers out there. You can cook all kinds of food on the Kamado. Earlier this week I dropped a cast iron griddle in mine and made carnitas over the open fire. The day before that I was smoking ribs and a pork shoulder. My point is, its easy to switch tasks and cook a variety of foods. If you have the means, I would recommend buying the Kamado. But the PBC is a great way to go too. Its all about YOUR needs and what you are looking for.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                    CeramicChef commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very well stated, Spinaker. I can put a ton of meat in my KOmodo Kamado, The Beast. He's a 32" and very versatile. The PBC is a smoking machine with a LOT of room and simple to master.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Duuuude, you have a Komodo?!? Those are beasts. They really are pieces of art. Do have any pictures of it rolling? CeramicChef

• CeramicChef
                    CeramicChef commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've got all sorts of pictures! Asking KK owners is like asking if the sun rises in the east!!! Yes, the KK is beautiful creation, but they truly cook better than they look. I'll start posting pics of Beauty (19&quot and TheBeast (32&quot in action.

Welcome to the Pit! I love my BGE which is great for low and slow, roasting and baking and doesn't guzzle lump charcoal. I am sure the Kamado Joe won't either.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit BloomHybrid from a fellow Phoenician.

If you are after a Kamado Joe, there's 2 places to look at the moment.

BBQIsland in Tempe has a Craigslist ad running right now that says they're blowing them out. I checked yesterday with the KamadoJoe company, and they said that BBQIsland is still a legitimate reseller, and since their normal website doesn't display the sale price, they are OK. Here's the ad.

Also, there's a Costco/Kamado Joe roadshow event scheduled to start on March 25th in a north Phoenix Costco.

Again, welcome.

Jim

Comment

I would say a Weber kettle with a Slow n Sear! A bargain no matter how you look at it.

Works great up here in Strawberry!

And, BTW, welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Thank you everyone for the welcome and feedback.. I have been leaning more toward getting the Big Joe, at the road show coming up. The spending of the money (amount) is not the issue I was more questioning am I getting my money's worth. Whatever I get I will be back here posting pictures on my first cook. Dave Parrish my name is for me represents not being restricted, continuing to grow and branch out into new things. Here I am looking to take my grilling and BBQ skills to the next level.

Comment

Welcome to the pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here