Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Houston Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Houston Texas

Hello,

I hope we are all well met. I have been lurking on this site for about six months and it was very instrumental as I convinced my wife I needed a smoker. She couldn't figure out why we needed something other than the Webber Kettle. I finally bought a PBC in November and she and I are very happy that I made the leap from griller to smoker.

I learned to grill from my dad on a Webber kettle but he was more of a build a pyramid of briquettes, douse in lighter fluid, light, spray on more fluid, create a fireball, and then cook kind of guy. While memories of grilling with him are wonderful, the food not so much. After college I discovered the more subtle arts of grilling but was always intimidated by smokers, they seemed so complex. Now that I've been churning out delicious BBQ for the extended family over the holidays I'm hooked and so are they.

I have lived in Houston since I was 10 but am not in love with brisket. I like it but choose the magical pig at almost any opportunity. There is as much bad dry brisket being cooked in Texas as there is juicy tender. In fact I would say for every Franklins, Salt Lick, and Killens restaurant there are 5 that serve mediocre brisket as well. I love ribs, I love pulled pork, I love smoked turkey, I love smoked and grilled sausage, I love smoked or grilled pork loin, grilled pork tender loin, grilled pork chops, and nothing beats a perfectly grilled steak.

I've already learned so much from this site and I look forward to learning so much more. In terms of my avatar, yes that is me in the batman mask, it's along story. I will upload a better pic at some point, I'm typing this from my work computer (shhh) and its the only pic I have on this CPU.

Cheers and I look towards a great year of smoked and grilled meats.
    Last edited by Obi-Dan; February 2, 2016, 02:18 PM.

Hi Dan ... welcome to the Pit! (Keep the avatar ... it's ... uh ... Awesome! )

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha. Thanks.

Obi-Dan, We Must Be Distant Relatives? Welcome To The Pit! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Greetings and welcome to the Pit! Judging by the meats you love you have come to the right place!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Obi-Dan! Thanks for joining up with us, pleasure to meet you. And we won't tell that you're at The Pit while at work. I know someone else who does that. His name rhymes with Pit Boss.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome Obi-Dan

Comment

Welcome aboard Obi-Dan!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Obi-Dan . Greetings from Colleyville, Texas. I cook on the PBC too and love it. There is great support for it on this website and I have learned so much. Have fun and enjoy the great 'Q!

Comment

I've seen better avatars, but I really can't remember when.

Welcome!!!

Comment

• Obi-Dan
                  Obi-Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha. Thanks. That's not quite what my wife said when she saw the picture. I believe the words "embarrassed for you" may have been uttered.

Welcome Obi-Dan ! Nice to meet you. Please consider posting pics of your cooks in the "Show Us What You're Cooking" thread.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
                  Obi-Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will do.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here