Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from the land down under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from the land down under

Hi all I'm from Darwin at the top of Australia where we have just as many crocodiles as people and the weather is hot. We have 2 seasons here, for 6 months its the Wet season and the other 6 months the Dry Season so its fairly easy to tell when were going to get rain.
    The temperature rarely drops below 30 Celsius so its always BBQ friendly. Have been cooking Aussie BBQ for years on the gas grill but have just purchased a flash as black Kamado Joe Classic and keen to learn the art of cooking tasty ribs and the like on charcoal. Cooked a roast chicken on it last night and cant believe how moist it remained, the Webber gas grill keeps the food moist but this was a whole new level.

This is what I have collected over the years so far:

Webber Kettle (got it second hand from the dump shop)
    Webber Family Q
    Webber Baby Q
    Kamado Joe Classic
    Ozpig if you haven't seen them before checkout the link, http://www.ozpig.com.au/
    Cobb Cooker
    Auspit rotisserie http://www.auspit.com/
    Snow Peak fire pit

Maverick ET732 temp gauge
    Thermapen M4

Looking back at that now I've written them down I'm starting to think I might be a little bit obsessive about BBQ

Anyways cheers for such a great site, hope to be able to contribute over time and many thanks for making such a vast amount of information available.

Upnorth.
    Last edited by (Upnorth); November 25, 2015, 03:44 AM.

Welcome to the Pit (Upnorth), looking at your list you have some way cool cookers, as for the temperature at rarely drops below 30C, what are the high Temps, just curious?

Comment

Hi JohnF the highs during the day are around 36 Celsius with 70 to 80% humidity and drop overnight to around 25 Celsius during the Wet season, during the Dry season the highs are around 30 Celsius with the lows around 18 Celcius and sometimes with a cold snap it might get down to 10 Celsius but with low humidity.

Comment

(Upnorth), Welcome to The Pit, I have attached a Pic. Of the current Wx condition here in Fargo ND. Notice our current Temps are the same with the exception that yours is Celcius and ours is Farenheit? This is the day before Thanksgiving a National Holiday in the US! Lots of Turkeys will be Cooked, Smoked, or Grilled Tommorrow! I for one will be Smoking One on a 22.5" Weber charcoal grill with a S 'n S Accessory, Applewood chunks for smoke!
        Eat Well and Prosper! 👍👍🦃👍👍. Dan

Comment

Welcome (Upnorth)

Comment

(Upnorth), Welcome to the Pit! You have quite an arsenal of cookers, and the weather is your friend year around. You will have lots of fun in the Pit. I live in the United States in South Louisiana where alligators roam free. Some restaurants serve alligator. Do any restaurants In your area serve crocodile? I never cooked alligator on my Big Green Egg. Have done crocodile on your Joe Classic?

Comment

• (Upnorth)
              (Upnorth) commented
              Editing a comment
              LA Pork Butt Crocodile meat is not all that popular here, they are farmed mainly for their skins that they export and turn into hand bags, belts, shoes and the like. I have tried it a couple of times but am not that taken with the flavour of it, it's sort of tastes like a cross between chicken and fish.

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit (Upnorth)! Here in the USA 'up north' has a much less warm and sunny connotation, at least this time of year and for the next 5 moths! Glad to have you here.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• (Upnorth)
                (Upnorth) commented
                Editing a comment
                Homework complete, hope you have a happy thanksgiving.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here