Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carl (aka) Panzer, here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carl (aka) Panzer, here

Hey y'all,
    I joined Pitmasters back at the end of May 2015, but just getting around to my "homework assignment". I'm retired and don't get in a hurry anymore, or wear a watch, so low and slow is REALLY a perfect hobby! I'm originally from Houston Texas, not Houston Minnesota (although I hunt turkey there now). I also lived in Louisiana (mom is from New Orleans), Germany, and Georgia for short stints growing up (yup a military brat), then settled in and around Houston after high school. I seemed to never have the time to dedicate a serious effort to study the art of BBQ in years past, besides I could just get it form one the many places (and they're GOOD) within driving distance of my home (ie. Houston/Austin). Now I have no excuses but a better reason. After retirement, I've extended the time spent in Minnesota, and one of the things that we missed was GOOD TEXAS style BBQ and fix'ns up here. We tried a few places, more than once sometimes, and then..."light bulb". I had built a smoker in my younger days (used to do a lot of welding), never reached the level of the old timers though, and after just used gassers for steaks, burgers etc. In May this year I purchased a Weber Smokey Mountain at a local Ace hardware store. Shortly thereafter...found, researched (a lot) and joined, to support this great resourse/effort of Meathead & staff! So far the results on seven "packers" (pime from Costco), some links, baby back and St Louis ribs now and then, have been excellent because of the tip/tricks/techniques from this site and the authors.

My goal is to have a good offset/stick burner in the future, but I'm cutting my teeth on verticals for now. I just ordered a Pit Barrel Cooker for an event in Houston in a couple of weeks (WSM is going too).

Thanks in advance to Jerod, Kathryn and all the others who will inevitably help with the PBC learning curve. Just took a break from reading PBC archive to get this completed...before I start smoking something again!

Welcome to the Pit Panzer ...

I'm also retired and don't wear a watch anymore.👍 I have studied AR for 4 years now. I think you'll find the $25 you spent to join the Pit the best investment you've ever made on your BBQ journey. I'm sure Jerod and Kathryn will coach you up on your new PBC. Have fun learning and we like pictures.😎

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. A buddy of mine has a farm down outside of Lake city, MN. Good deer and turkey hunting down there. Its kind of in your neck of the woods. Good to see another Minnesotan (part-time anyway) in here. If you ever make it up the the cites check out Bakers Ribs. It's a good Que spot. The owner is from Dallas, he smokes with Post oak shipped up. Damn good stuff. Anyway, Welcome to the Pit!!

Comment

• Panzer
        Panzer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Spinaker,

Guess I should have been more specific, I'm in Anoka Minnesota, turkey hunt near Houston Minnesota, goose hunt near Rochester.
        I read about Baker's here, but it's just outside my bubble so haven't made the trip yet. I'm going to bring Oak back this next trip to Texas to cube some up for my next cook (leaving tomorrow).

Hey Carl welcome aboard

Comment

• Panzer
        Panzer commented
        Editing a comment
        THANKS Smarkley!

Welcome to the PIT

Comment

Breadhead, $25 is the best money I've spent yet! I've attached a couple of photos of the last brisket on my WSM with the Big Bad Beef Rub, I was bored.
        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Panzer! Glad to have you here and glad you popped in to say hello. That beef looks mighty good.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here