Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vandy from Memphis, TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vandy from Memphis, TN

I am new to the website and am looking forward to learning as much as I can about cooking great meat. I am using pellet smokers at the moment but would like to move to a stick burner like a Lang smoker sometime in the near future. I am in the Memphis, TN area and around here it is all about the BBQ, especially pork. I would really like to master smoking a turkey, I have tried several and they all turn out OK but I want to be able to really cook a killer smoked turkey.

Welcome aboard vandy! I am going to move this to the Introduce Yourself thread so the masses can meet you.

Look forward to more from you!

Comment

For starters, check out Meathead's Ultimate Smoked Turkey recipe if you haven't already. Second, I would recommend some practice with chickens, since they're pretty affordable. Spatchcock (butterfly) them, which produces an even cooking and faster cooking, and plan on 1.5 hrs @325, or 1.25 hrs (~75 min) at 350-360 for chicken. For turkeys it seems like 2 hrs is the average time at 325. Either way take the deepest part of the breasts, as measured by a good digital thermometer, to 160 preferably (165 max) then pull it off and serve. You simply cannot go wrong this way!

Comment

Welcome Aboard vandy

Comment

Hey vandy!

Comment

Hey Vandy. I have smoked a number of turkeys, brining is a must. Cooking low and slow. Previously we have not been lovers of white meat, but smoked turkey and white meat is GONE. Family looks forward to it. Try parts as well before going to the bird.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit vandy. I'm just outside of Nashville, in Murfreesboro.

Comment

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! I just order my Lang smoker yesterday so I should have it in around 6 weeks

One more thing Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here