Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little about me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little about me.

I joined here a couple weeks ago but have been a lurker for awhile. I did a little intro but figured I would tell my story of how I ended up here.

I have had the 22" kettle that comes the table with the 1 gal propane starter since about 2006.It is a green kettle with a stainless steel table and the plastic bin. I got it when I was working at an ACE Hardware store. I was actually the manager there and the grill had a really small dent on the lid down near the lip. I asked the owner if I could mark it down as damaged and sell it at a discount. He said fine so I marked it to $95 and bought it. . He owed me....... I have used it a few times but never as much as I should have. Cooked quite a few pizza's on the grill with indirect cooking and everyone wants one when they come visit.

Now to present time..... I work for lg Marriott property in Phoenix and am a landscape supervisor. 2-3 months ago Weber had their Weber University at our hotel. It was pretty cool. This large semi pulls in with Weber all over it and before you know it the sides of the semi trailer pop out Grills are everywhere tables are set up and then two smokers start smoking. They were there for 3 days and I kept going by talking to the guy who was smoking some briskets on the 22 1/2"WSM's. It got my attention so I finally found the "guy in charge" and inquired about buying one of the smokers when they were done. You know , save them the hassle of packing it up .

On the last day I was in the right place at the right time and got one of the new smokers they used for the demo for a great price. I found this site researching what to do next, and have been here everyday since.

I was a chef for a few years and with that background and With the knowledge shared here by Meathead and all of you, I figure I am years ahead of what it would have taken to learn this on my own. I am starting to use the kettle a little now and the smoker all the time.

I have a lot of organic gardens at home and built one at work to grow for the restaurants. I grow peppers, tomatoes, onions and almost every spice or herb used in the rubs so I make my own mixes and thats important to me. I love the rubs and recipes supplied here and with the techniques that are shared I definitely feel and look like a pro.

Thanks, Rick

Welcome to the Pit. And great intro!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
      Welcome to the Pit. And great intro!!
      Thanks Spinaker. It really is a lot of fun to be here everyday learning and hopefully someday sharing techniques. I cant believe I had my Weber kettle for so many years and didn't know. If you have stock in Kingsford I should be helping you with your dividends.

Comment

Welcome Aboard gardenfish thanks for intro!

Comment

Dang Rick, you sure got the fresh spice thing down pat. And a sweet Weber to boot.

Good thing I don't grow Allspice berries, family would probably shoot me.

Comment

Sweet Action!

Comment

Welcome to the PIT.

Comment

Hello gf!

Comment

Hey there gardenfish, I know you've been here a while now but I never formally gave you your homework assignment. So, to be fair to the whole class, here it is: homework assignment post for new members. Glad to have you here.

Comment

Hey gardenfish welcome to The Pit! Great Weber story. I'm jealous of your gardening skills.

Comment

welcome to the pit you WILL have fun

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here