Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Saluzzo, Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Big Tanglewood fan!

Welcome, I look forward to some authentic Italian recipes!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Though Italian is the official language, my friend tells me it is much more common to hear German spoken in casual conversation. Similarly, the cuisine is much more influenced by German cuisine than Italian. My suspicion is that the sausage in question is seasoned much more in the German style than Cajun. I used to teach a university course in culture and gastronomy and I have to tell you that the list of ingredients you call the Cajun Trinity is by no means unique. You can find the same (cont'd

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      shopping list for homes in China, Scandinavia, Spain, South Africa, and just about anywhere else where Islam or Judaism is not the main religion (because of the pork).That said, the Slow Food Foundation in Bra is working to preserve the product. Here is an address:
      Slow Food Presidium Coordinator
      Filippo Bier
      Tel. +39 0427 86189 - 335 6789205
      [email protected]
      Hope this helps! Best, Sam

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Sam, I figured the cuisines would be a lot different. The Jota I made has Armenian roots. I've noticed the Trinity in one form or another is used in most cuisines and is usually fresh veggies that are sauteed. I found it interesting that in Friuli they preserve it like a dried sausage and I want to try to make it. I think between the video and adapted recipes from the region that I can get the proportions right although I'm sure every family's was different so it doesn't matter too much.

Great Story...Thank You...Welcome from the Near West Burbs of Chicago!! Looking forward to seeing
    more of your cooking!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troymeister! I like Chicago. It's a great eating town and a really beautiful city in many places. You can find some great steaks and good drinks too!

Well Sam, seein where yer at & where yer from, we need lots of pics! Pics of yer cookers, pics of some of the stuff you’ve cooked & pics of yer surroundings. Now when we get the pics, then we’ll give ya any help ya need. There is a price that has to be paid, it’s in our rule book, yessir, it is.
    Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome!!

Comment

• cohenkin
        cohenkin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jake!

Ihanks, FireMan. I'll try to comply with the rules.

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

• cohenkin
          cohenkin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Stuey! Guess I'll have to throw a few gamberetti on the barbie for you! Funny thing about this place is that almost all the fish and seafood are frozen before being sold at retail. It ruins the texture bo a lot of the product. Fortunately, we live only an hour and a half from the sea, we can usually find a fisherman with a fresh catch. It's such a shame because much of the Mediterranean is very clean and theseafood is incredible. You haven't lived until you've steamed clams in seawater.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

Comment

• cohenkin
          cohenkin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Will! Wish I could find some of that sharp New Glarus cheese here that I could smoke!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• cohenkin
          cohenkin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Hawker!

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

• cohenkin
          cohenkin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Larry! We have some great brisket here and I have a butcher who knows just how to do a perfect Packer cut.

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy Italy and The Pit.

Comment

• cohenkin
          cohenkin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Skip! I love fishing in Minnesota! I just smoked a beautiful trout I caught here two days ago. Dry brined it and cold smoked it with applewood.

Hello, and welcome from north Texas. Great story, looking forward to seeing your "stuff" as you post pix. You’ll have fun here.

Comment

• cohenkin
          cohenkin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Soonerpop! Isn't it dangerous to be "Sooner" anything in Texas? You're a brave man!

• Soonerpop
          Soonerpop commented
          Editing a comment
          cohenkin I am for a fact. It’s amazing, but there are Texans everywhere down here. I guess I’m lucky that I’m such a nice guy, raconteur, teller-of-tales, soldier-of-fortune, and all-around good guy so I can stay one step ahead of ‘em.

Welcome....from Long Island here. My wife and I spent a few nights in Bra on our honeymoon a few years ago. Loved the area and can't wait to go back. Aspiring to have your retirement!

Comment

• cohenkin
          cohenkin commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Pobeque! We spent our first weekend after moving here in Bra. In the middle of September every two years, they have a huge festival devoted to cheeses from all over the world. At the 2019 festival, the gold medal winner was a cheese from the Rogue Valley in Oregon. Sadly, due to the pandemic, this year's festival has been cancelled. Retirement here is great. You'll love it!

• Pobeque
          Pobeque commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds like fun....we were there late October - early November and were able to attend the truffle festival in Alba. Had so many good meals/wines those few days....

There is nowhere like Alba from mid=October to New Year in terms of cuisine. If you are VERY fortunate and you live here, you might even have some friends who are restauranteurs who will hook you up with truffles for home use. If you are very, VERY lucky, you may even make a friend who owns truffle dogs who will give you a call when he comes home from the hunt with truffles that were in the ground an hour or two before. Pure unoptanium unless you are here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here