Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
See more
See less

camp chef 24-inch gas smoke vault NG conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btberlin
    Club Member
    • Aug 2019
    • Jersey shore

camp chef 24-inch gas smoke vault NG conversion

Based on a good review on this site, and the assertion that the propane burner as it is delivered can be converted to natural gas, I bought and did the conversion using the instructions on the Camp Chef site. It did not work out well. After drilling out the orifice to the specified number drill, I found the flame way too lean - it was windy sounding and tended to blow out. Attempts to move the venturi air shutter to decrease air flow was stymied by the shutter being pinned in place for propane. A bit of Dremel surgery was required to release the air shutter so i could close it. Even closed all the way, the flame is noisy at high, but no longer blows out, It admittedly is quieter than it was. Customer support, although answering promptly and trying to be helpful has never answered a key question - what larger size number drill can i use to open up the orifice by a few thousandths more to better balance gas and air. OW, it's a nice smoker. The design of the burner allows replacement should the burner burn out (I tossed my Masterbuilt smoker because replacement of the burner meant replacing the entire bottom half of the smoker, at a cost nearly as high as i paid for the smoker new). The water tray is very generously sized, the smoke-wood tray is very heavy gauge. and there is a removable bottom tray to catch grease. Overall, I like the Smoke Vault, but it would be nice if the tech guys at Camp Chef had actually tested their conversion.
    Last edited by btberlin; May 14, 2021, 03:00 PM.
  • bbqLuv
    Club Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Milwaukie, OR

Sounds like too much hassle.
    I would rather be a happy griller.

Comment

• Bruceski44
      Club Member
      • Jun 2020
      • Kuna, ID
      • KBQ C-60 smoker
        Weber Genesis II S-435 propane grill
        Chugod 6-probe Bluetooth thermometer
        Fluke 52 II Digital Thermometer w/Type K thermocouples
        Tektronix DTM920 Digital Thermometer w/Type K thermocouples

I like drinking:
        Crown Royal Whiskey w/ ginger ale and lemonade
        Amber ales

I like cooking:
        Beef, pork and chicken. Gotta try lamb and bison

I like eating any kind of meat, along with my fair share of veggies and carbs.

I have no use for fake meat or fools.

I'm a retired electrical engineer with Metrology training courtesy of US Navy. Not Meterology-- Metrology.

I did this on a Jenn-Air some years ago. The attached pic is part of an Excel sheet I found which describes various orifice sizes needed to achieve a BTU rating. The top row is NG line pressure. I highlighted the sizes I used for the 3 burners on my grill (main, rear (rotisserie) and side burner). If you need more BTUs, the table continues. Sorry for the eye chart, PM me your email and I'll fwd the spreadsheet to you. I couldn't see how to attach it here.

Before you re-drill anything, consider that you may need to add a regulator to the NG line before the grill. I ran it at 7psi.

Those are some tiny drill bits needed. I got mine from drill bit city and was glad I ordered two sets, because I broke one bit.

Attached Files

Comment

• Argoboy
        Club Member
        • Apr 2016
        • Southern Ontario 70 miles from Detroit

If the orifice is made from brass you could drill it out to larger size and if that did not work you could solder it up and re-drill again?

Comment

• Redwng
          Charter Member
          • Oct 2014
          • St. Cloud, FL

Wow...what a PITA, sorry you are going through this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
          See more
          See less
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Meat-Up in Memphis