Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS: Hasty-Bake Gourmet 256 Charcoal Grill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: Hasty-Bake Gourmet 256 Charcoal Grill.

I paid $1399 for this HB in Jan 2019; will consider any reasonable offer. I have cooked on it about 6 times and am unable to maintain a low (225) temp for more than about 3 hours. It's a great girl for higher temps but I want something that will work for low and slow.

Hate to see you get rid of that fantastic piece of equipment. Searching the web I did notice that people are saying that it isn't really good at the low and slow but easy to control higher temps, once you get the feel for it. Have you thought about using a BBQ Guru controller to help with that? Or staring out with less charcoal? Or are you looking more towards a "set and forget" type? That is what I have been thinking about.

Comment

• Da Chief
      Da Chief commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm wanting something I can cook at approx 225 for at least 6 hours, preferably 10-12 without having to constantly babysit it. I don't mind checking on it every hour or so, but this one just won't hold 225 without almost constant attention.

Da Chief Just out of morbid curiosity, what is the lowest temp you have been able to maintain?

Comment

• Da Chief
      Da Chief commented
      Editing a comment
      Using the fuse method with about 10 lbs of Kingsford, I was able to maintain 225+-10 degrees for about 3 hours before the charcoal burned out and I didn't reload - this was a trial run without meat. That was with tweaking vents every 10-20 minutes for the first hour and a half. After that didn't have to mess with the vents very much. I don't care to hover over the fire that much. I'm ready to dump this thing.

Are you locked in to smoking at 225° ? A lot of folks now, including some big time professionals, smoke low and slow at higher than that, 250°+ . They have found that apparently 225° may no longer be the gold standard, unless it's the temp that works best for you.

Have you tried smoking at higher temps just to see if you enjoy the food it produces?

I'm with JimLinebarger , I hate to see you get rid of such a solid piece of equipment.

Kathryn

Comment

• Da Chief
      Da Chief commented
      Editing a comment
      You definitely have a point about the "magic" temp of 225. I continue to get great results with my PBC which runs at about 260-280 depending on the ambient temp and wind. I will continue to experiment with the HB unless/until I get an acceptable offer to buy it.

Thanx for your input.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here