Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

temp gauge

One brand of drum smoker puts a temp gauge into the exhaust port of their smoker. Can a temp gauge be placed directly into the lid ? would it read correctly?

Originally posted by pipesmoke View Post
    One brand of drum smoker puts a temp gauge into the exhaust port of their smoker. Can a temp gauge be placed directly into the lid ? would it read correctly?
    Yes, a thermometer can be placed in the lid. Assuming it is capable of being accurate in the first place (most bi-metal thermometers are notoriously inaccurate), then it would only read the temperature at the lid "correctly". Unfortunately, the temperature down where the food is will likely be very different from the temperature up at the lid.

Personally, I'd suggest you save the money you might spent on a lid thermometer installation and instead, invest in a decent digital ... preferably one with at least two channels so you can monitor both meat temperature and drum temperature at the level where the meat is cooking.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; May 2, 2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      We are kindred spirits my friend. Our little club here is rank with similar-minded folks.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm married to a man who has qualities of character similar to you fine gentlemen. Based on that experience, I have to say a wise a** is far better than merely an a**.

• pipesmoke
      pipesmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info . Im going to place temp in lid.. Its only 7 inches from top grill and the probe is 4 inches. I also have a SMOKE electronic..

+1 on MBMorgan. My favorite budget system is the Maverick XR-50. I lust after a Fireboard system, but it is a little further down on my gotta have list.

Top quality digital grill thermometers perfect for meat and BBQ. Shop all available grilling thermometers from SnS Grills.

Comment

That is where I put my temp probe when using the PBC, right, smack in the middle of the lid. It makes it easy when you go to access the food. When the lid is lifted and set aside on the handles, the probe is out of the way, which is nice.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        So do you just have a hole in the lid? or do you have something like a WSM grommet?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! I simply drilled a hole in the lid. It is just a bit bigger than the diameter of the probe. It doesn't leak much and does not seem to effect the barrel at all. mnavarre

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
      +1 on MBMorgan. My favorite budget system is the Maverick XR-50. I lust after a Fireboard system, but it is a little further down on my gotta have list.

Top quality digital grill thermometers perfect for meat and BBQ. Shop all available grilling thermometers from SnS Grills.

https://www.fireboard.com/
      I've been lusting after a fireboard too. I have a CyberQ and the system is just so clunky. I'm not complaining though it does get the job done, but the FB looks so slick.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        It does. All those graphs have my head spinning.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here