Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB Stick burner in the NW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB Stick burner in the NW

Hey guys I'm looking for a decent size smoker for small catering jobs that will feed 100 to 250 people. I would prefer having a reverse flow but isn't really that necessary. Hope you guys can help me out here thanks

What's your budget and location?

Comment

I love this question!!!!

100 to 250 is a big range. If you are just cooking pork butts, for example, then that's 22 butts, in my calculator, for 5 oz per portion. If you go to a full plate, with 4 oz of pork and 4 oz of brisket, then that's 22 butts and 10.5 briskets.

That's a big smoker!

My Myron Mixon 72 xc is 69" x 33". That's a big rack! It comes with 3 racks, which is 47 square feet of cooking space. 10 briskets fit easily on a rack. When i cooked for the 1,000 person job, I packed in about 15 butts per rack. I could have put more on each rack. On the company website, they say 90 butts will fit, which is 30 per rack. I'm sure you can put that many on there, but it would be super tight, meat touching meat all day, and airflow would be restricted. So you would have to cook a little lower temp and slower.

I list the comparison of my actual functional capacity, vs. the maximum capacity listed on the websites, because it will be helpful when looking at various pits and what you'll need to make sure you get enough cooking space to pull it off.

My pit has 47 sf as configured, and I can cook for about 500 people at a time (all butts). If I'm cooking multiple meats, reduce that number. So, if you are wanting to cook for up to 250, then I'd suggest you keep the cooking space at least 23 square feet. That's a Lang 84", for example.

Stickburning is the best!

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Great stuff!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        "Stickburning is the best" Paul's new motto !!!!

Invaluable feedback, PaulstheRibList, thanks! Love the specified vs actual comments, they help a lot.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Henrik! I'm sure you can put that many of the stated meats on a pit, but the way it cooks will change (slow down, less even) when the airflow is restricted. And the day you want to learn those changes is NOT the day you are about to feed the most number of people ever!

First off thanks to everyone for posting some info. Im located in Oregon and I guess saying 250 people would probably be max with multiple meats. Ive picked up a few weddings over the years and would like to expand my operation is all im looking for. As for budget I would like to stay in the $2000 to $2500 range if its even possible.

I did come across this Lang 84 deluxe down in San Fran for $2500. Any thoughts? Looks like it has seen better days and has lots of pitting going on. Im guessing it can be cleaned up but would like more opinions. What would you pay for this model in this condition?

Click image for larger version

Name:	lang 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	441989
      Click image for larger version

Name:	lang 3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	441990
      Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        dpsbbq Having been involved in metal refurbishments pictures do not always reveal the true extent off work that may be needed, so suggest somebody in the game physically take a look and give a cost estimate and work from there.

Might even be easier to just get (or build) new shelves. Expanded metal is thin and there's a chance they're just past their life. Like holehogg says though, best to tell in person.

Comment

holehogg unfortunately I'm 600 miles away from this unit but would totally make the trip for the right deal

Comment

I would pay $2000 for it in a heartbeat if I live closer to it.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, its a Lang and made of 1/4" metal so the fire box and cooker are probably ok. Looks like a nice vertical smoker too. You would have to replace the shelves which would send you over your budget, but hey, a new unit like that would cost 3x as much. Call the seller and ask questions.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here