Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted .338MX or .338MXLR JM Stamped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted .338MX or .338MXLR JM Stamped

Been looking for one for a while that isn't astronomically priced. I figure with Marlin being sold to Remington, then being sold to Ruger combined with ammunition that is impossible to find they would start turning up by now. Not an issue for me since roll my own ammunition. If anyone has a lead on either please let me know.

Man, you do take your bail calls from John seriously.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Let's just say I'm an enthusiast

I’m not familiar with the caliber… but I took a look at it in my books…
    I’m am old Marlin guy…. My old one is my great uncle’s 1947, 36A…
    Several years ago I bought a ‘95 SBL because I love the big boy… and followed it with a .94 SBL… They were just ridiculously priced at that time…
    Had I waited till after the most absurd price runs, I’d have set tight…
    I’ll look in our local forums and see what I find…

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a .338 caliber lever action magnum round with ballistics very similar to a .30-06 Springfield. Still tubular magazine too.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      And thank you.

Nothing here… but there was one that sold for $975…
    in 2015!
    I assume you can pass a credit check for today’s pricing!
    I’ll keep an eye on the forums…

Comment

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve learned not to say around my nephew, what I’d like to have….
      Dang if he won’t find it! Texts will come in all times of the night!
      I’ll also mention it to him…
      He’s in Metro Atlanta and lots of goodies show up there…

What is astronomical? Im seeing prices in the $1700 range. These rifles probably all have rather light use, given the odd caliber (costly ammo) and lever action. It is not like they are 5.56 NATO semi autos which can have thousands of rounds pumped through them annually.

Also the JM stamp does not mean the "barrel droop" problem is not a thing. Apparently there were a very small number of rifles in some serial number range that might have been made on a machine slightly out of specifications. By now most have been sent back to for barrel replacement. You can check for droop with a yardstick, place it on top of the receiver and barrel. If the serial number begins with 91, look at it carefully as this is the range with the problem. But likely it was already sent back and fixed.

The JM stamp is really more of a collector thing. You will pay more for it, but as far as shooting accuracy goes the other stamps are just as excellent. And the price tends to be lower.

Ruger makes good stuff. I would not have a problem buying a new Marlin. Ruger pistols are ok, aside from their .22 pistols which are legendary. But their revolvers have always been rock solid and their rifles that were not semi auto ranch rifles were known for being good.

Comment

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya’ll don’t know how many times I looked at the Old Army…
      My farm gun is a stainless new vaquero… that doesn’t worry about rain and dust/grit… I just wash it down and hang the leather out to dry and go again….

I looked and a Ruger .44 carbine sold last month in our area for $1200…. I was glad to see that…

texastweeter SmokeyGator.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I quit hunting off the ground about 14 years ago...I discovered still hunting. I still use a box stand when with the younguns to keep them dry and warm. I've been lucky, only been hit by 2 hogs, and only one actually gored me any, and bit by one copperhead (wasn't even hunting, was feeding chickens). Had a lion come up in a tree (same year I quit hunting in trees) while I was calling coons. I dispatched her with a .17HMR (all I had on me). Thats when I started carrying a sidearm.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a .45 acp break on me in 2018 that cost me 2 fingers on my left had. They got saved and sewn back on with some mobility in each. Thats when I switched to exclusively wheel guns except my .380 that I carry when in a suit.

I won’t be shocked at sales prices again…

I sold two Ruger .454 Alaskans, which had been scarce as hen’s teeth for many years before… Sold them in-state for less than auction bids while still doubling my money…

I even got my money back for my Guide’s Choice chest holster… because I had one… Pandemic panic made them have long wait times out of Alaska, also….​

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same holster for my .357 ruger.

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      I never regretted buying it… but took advantage of the prices they were bringing and sold them in favor of two barrel length Anacondas… the holster they both ride in is for the 4” barrel… the long barrel just looks weird like wearing a miniskirt… texastweeter

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha!

Have you looked at the Savage straight pull bolts?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have read about them, they are interesting for sure, but I am a levergun fan.

texastweeter -- are you familiar with Rokslide.com. It's a western hunting site with an active (and free) gun classifieds section. I've seen some interesting guns get moved around there. Might be worth posting something there.

Comment

texastweeter I know you like the Marlins (I have one myself) but here's an option: I just bought a vintage Savage Model 99 lever action in .300 savage. When introduced in 1921 the .300 savage had nearly the same ballistics as the 30-06. Even though this was a common caliber (and its the precursor to the .308 Winchester) I couldn't find ammo anywhere, not even online. Reloading brass was almost unobtainium as well but I found some and I'm working up a load now with 165 gr. soft points. I've fired 10 rounds so far and it is pleasant to shoot. This and my Marlin 30-30 will be my main smokeless hunting rifles; my two Sharps are still my faves though.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, very familiar with it. I just have a hankering for a TUBE magazine long range levergun. Several box magazine models to choose from if I wanted. Currently entertaining myself working on loads for my Weatherby 270WSM and my wife's 6mm remington.

texastweeter On the Lock, Stock & Barrel investments web site there is a Marlin express 338 with JM proof marks. They want 15 hundred and change for it. This may be an old listing, but I couldn’t get it to show a date. Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here