Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Everyday Wines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Favorite Everyday Wines?

Mainly I'm a beer guy, but for "everyday" wines, I tend to like dry red blends and pinot noirs--and I hate to spend more than $7-$8 a bottle. Some of my go-tos are Menage a Trois (blend and Midnight), Apothic Red, Bogle (blend and old vine Zin), Yellow Tail (various). My wife likes Chardonnays: Toasted Head, Gnarly Head, Yellow Tail, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Colombia Crest Estates And, for the occasional bubbly Freixenet Brut.

Your favorite vintners?
    Last edited by Willy; December 17, 2016, 01:49 PM.

I'm not much of a wine drinker but I do like some good ole sipping whiskey this time of the year.

Comment

• Northside Brian
      Northside Brian commented
      Editing a comment
      Four Roses single barrel. Elijah Craig. 1792 barrel strength. Blantons.

• Bumper
      Bumper commented
      Editing a comment
      ....And Eagle Rare to finish the set. Best sipping whiskey for the price for me. I really like Blantons, EC and Four Roses, but the smokey rich complexity of the ER is hard to beat. Oh and James E Pepper 1776 is right up there with ER. They do a Rye version I am keen to try too.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Northside Brian Can you put that in the Favorite Bourbon/Scotch thread? My brother in law got some Four Roses and said it's his favorite. I need to try it.

Well Bourbon is my poison of choice and I enjoy craft beers....

When it comes to wine... I like a good Port... I also like a good Foch as IMHO it pairs fairly well with grilled and bbq foods...

The wife typically likes something sweet to semi-sweet...

We don't drink a ton of wine so we usually just have a nice selection of stuff from wineries we have visited.

Comment

Today I'm whining about a really bad sinus headache.

Yesterday I was whining about a spasm in my left trapezius.

Other than that......never drank the stuff. I was at a Publix in Atlanta and they have a wine aisle long enough to run the 4th leg of the quadruple crown.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        A little wine might just help them headaches and spasms... :«)

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        You may be on to something Willy

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm really scared of the trapezius. If I was on one that high up I'd be having spasms, too!

I like Malbec a lot. Dry red with good body and generally inexpensive (Australian Shiraz is like that too, but heavier). Check out Splash Wines on the internet. If your state allows wine to be shipped in, they have great prices and mixed cases, or choose your own.

Comment

• Northside Brian
        Northside Brian commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF I love a good Carmenere with a nice peppery steak. The flavors go so well together.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, good combo Northside Brian !

• Sierraslick
        Sierraslick commented
        Editing a comment
        I think many of those Malbecs are coming from Argentina and they are terrific! Here I live 30 minutes from Napa but the good prices and great values are at my nearby Bev Mo!

I like blended reds or Zins. Some blended reds in the $10 range that we always buy are Frontier Red and Shebang. Zins are my favorite, but the decent "everyday" versions are $15 to $20. We like 7 Deadly Zins, Plungerhead, Cline Old Vines, and Gnarly Head Ancient Vines. Seghesio and Cline Planchon Vineyards are great zins too but they are more costly than what I'd call an everyday wine.

Comment

White =Langudoc and Ballard Road
        red= Rex Goliath

Comment

My wife is into the Rex Goliath Pinot Noir, right now.

Comment

I like a sweet red. Sweet Walter or even Gallo Red moscato.

Comment

Wine snobs might hate me ... But the Black Box Pinot is scrumptous and 4 bottles worth for 20 bucks it cant be beat

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                One of my go to cooking wines, with Botabox being the other.

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                I like the Black Box Merlot and Cab too.

Some people like expensive cars, some people like expensive cookers, some people like expensive clothes. Unfortunately, I got pretty well hooked on some fairly expensive wines. I am definitely not a snob, and I often times head down to Bevmo and buy some of their "buy one get another for a nickel" wines. But damn, when I am flush, there is nothing like an Amuse Bouche, an Opus One, a Hall "Exzellenz", or maybe even a fancy French Bordeaux. Too bad I usually have a beer budget.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Understood! Are there any less expensive wines that you enjoy on occasion?

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Huge thumbs up on the Opus! I have been told that Benedictine Monks sort out the best grapes and crush them one at a time. Then they have them blessed by a priest, a Rabbi, and the Dali Llama.

• Sierraslick
                Sierraslick commented
                Editing a comment
                How about Napa appellation Silver Oak? With a well cooked Ribeye it will rock your world!

I am a wine club member of three small wineries whose wines are pretty much are only available at the winery and at local markets. Their wines constitute a fair percentage of my purchases. I also like to go to wine bars where I can get good advice and sample the wines before I buy. But usually id consider wine recommendations the same a restaurant recommendations. Everyone has a particular set of expectations and perceptions, and I like to make my own choices. I have had wonderful meals at restaurants that other people hate, and I have had execrable wines that others love. My best advice is to go out and taste a lot!

Comment

Same the wife and I and some friends like to hit the "local" wineries. I typically only purchase from them the ones that we can't get at store. But we don't go hog wild either.

Comment

Screaming Eagle....well I just saw it once

Comment

We prefer a Cabernet. Dreaming Tree (bottle) is a favorite or even Black Box (boxed). It is fun to try different wines and beers once in awhile though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here