Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I stock this with

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What do I stock this with

    I rarely drink wine, but when I do its usually cab sav or a merlot. Wife drinks box wine.

    We want to put a few bottles in here but they could sit for very long periods unless we have guests who want something. We might grab a bottle of discount champagne after New Years to put in one slot...

    Only the 4 middle and 3 top slots look like they would hold a bottle that's been opened once. The 3 bottom slots have no support to keep a bottle level.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260927_105308.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	1889214

    #2
    I stock mine with these….

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3707.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1889221

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3706.png
Views:	68
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1889222

    Comment


    • Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      "Tickle Pink" was my choice back in the day…

    • Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Greg, what would be funny if you had some guests over, tell them to just go over and pick out what they’d like to drink and be serious about it…..see if they say anything to you about the Boone’s Farm or if they just keep quiet…….😂 it’d be really funny if they were wine snobs.

    • texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Come on, "melon ball" is where its at...

    #3
    I would stock a few bottles that you like to drink, a few more decent but inexpensive bottles for cooking, and maybe a white wine that is semisweet and fruity like Panhead John to accompany a cheese tray/ snack tray. If you like dessert wines a decent port is nice to have in hand, an oakier port is my go-to for serving with steak rather than a Cab or Merlot.

    Comment


    • 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs That is a hard one as your guests tastes might run across the wine spectrum. For medium to full-bodied reds I like Robert Mondavi Cab and merlot; Cline Zinfandel and Old Vines Zin; J. Lohr 7 oaks cab; Messina-Hof Port from Texas, Josh Chardonnay is fine for cooking and drinking (dry white), a good Riesling or Gewürztraminer for charcuterie; blush is an all around good fruity white wine for light drinking and charcuterie. If you go to a decent beverage store ask the staff.

    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Great selection, 58limited and good call on a port. A good port is missing in my life!

    • 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn A good oaky port is my go-to for a steak rather than cab or merlot. Messina-Hof has a couple of different levels for their ports, I use the lower level for steaks. They have changed their naming over the years, the cheaper port used to be called "Barrel Reserve" and it was great with steaks. I don't see it listed on their website now, the cheapest port I saw was $50. Their Tawney Port and Solera Sherry are both excellent.
      Last edited by 58limited; September 27, 2026, 06:40 PM.

    #4
    Let's not overthink this. You need to continue the theme. https://agilewines.ca/fr/cocktails-e...i-fraggle-rock

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	62
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	1889237

    (Okay, it isn't wine, but it is the closest I could find lol.)​

    Comment


    • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh goodness, guess this is on the list of things to find

    #5
    Click image for larger version

Name:	copyImage.webp
Views:	57
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	1889273​

    Click image for larger version

Name:	copyImage.webp
Views:	58
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	1889274​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	copyImage.webp
Views:	55
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1889275​

    Comment


      #6
      I have this stuff shipped from Wisconsin to California. Every so often they offer free shipping when you buy in lots of 6 bottles. That's when I stock up, large!


      Unfortunately, we CANNOT ship wine to the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Kansas, Mississippi, Ohio, New Jersey, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia.
      Last edited by lostclusters; September 27, 2026, 11:38 AM.

      Comment


        #7
        We don’t drink but keep a wine storage refrigerator stocked for guests. To stock it I just go to the local wine store and tell them I want a case lot of wine, tell them the bottle price range I’m willing to spend, and let them select the variety and wines to fill the case. If our stock is low I buy a case of reds and another of whites.
        They have never let us down and we receive compliments on our wine selection variety and the wines themselves.
        Bonus is that I also get a case discount off the prices.

        Comment


        • 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea

        #8
        If you are going to lay down some wines, don’t do it here. Find a dark closet. Any open bottles are corked and kept in the fridge. Yes, even reds. My good friend who is a Som told me as such. I questioned her and she said trust the process Keep bubbles in the fridge so they are chilled at the ready. Plus champagne style bottle are probably too big for this rack. Keep what you like in this rack for drinking within the year. I love blends, especially GSMs. So versatile and a crowd pleaser. In my “everyday rack” I have pinot noir, merlot, petite Syrah right now. In the wine fridge, I have Chardonnay and Sauvignon blanc.

        wine gets heavy! I trust this is securely attached to the wall.

        Comment


        • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          It is secure on the wall, but I wasn't considering some of your points so maybe this will just store a few novelty bottles for decor.

        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Or, this is the rack that is stocked FOR the party or holiday get together.

        • Purc
          Purc commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never found a wine rack that works with my fine selection of boxed wine

        #9
        MD 20 20 can fit.

        Comment


        • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Oddly that was one of the wifes suggestions after seeing the PJ reccomendation.

        #10
        Me says some nice bourbon bottles would go great in there 🥃


        or tequila because…you know… when you have TACOS!!!!!!! You can serve tequila too!

        Comment


        • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't drink liqour but not opposed to using this for that.

        #11
        Find a few local wineries and select some different wines and stock with those.

        Comment


        • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Muscadine stuff is big here, hate the stuff and most of our friends are military so also don't have a taste for it. If I was still in CA that would be a fantastic idea
          Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; September 27, 2026, 05:50 PM.

        #12
        I like going to the local wineries, and taste then buy.
        Support your local wineries.

        Comment


        • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          As mentioned above, most of the wineries here are muscadine and I can't stand the stuff. Most of our friends are military so unless you're from the area you most likely won't like it.

        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to look up this grape. Tasting notes reveal I will most likely not care for it.

      Announcement

      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      0
      Guest
      Guest
      500
      ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
      7