Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sherry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sherry

OK, so everything I know about sherry I learned from Niles and Frasier Crane and the sum total of that knowledge is that sherry is a preferred drink of prissy snobs. LOL

Anyhoo, I am making efincoop 's sherry cream crab sauce tonight to top halibut. All I could find in my little town was a bottle of Fairbanks medium dry sherry (the recipe calls for dry) which broke the bank at $7.99 a bottle. ;«) Cream sherry was the other option and I didn't choose it. Is medium dry an acceptable substitute for dry for cooking? Is $7.99 per bottle stuff even sherry? Would Frasier and Niles drink it?

As I search the 'Net, I read that opened sherry should be refrigerated and consumed within a week. Really?

Any help provided to alleviate my ignorance is appreciated.

I buy Taylor's Dry Sherry at the store in the wine section for cooking. I keep it in the fridge and it seems fine over a week old. I don't use sherry much other than for french onion soup.

Comment

Willy I know I'm late to the party, but you can also substitute dry vermouth. I hope you update the post to et us know how things turned out.

Comment

Light, _low alcohol_ sherry (usually called Manzanilla or Fino) may need to be refrigerated as if it was white wine but other sherries are fine at room temperature. I’ve kept them open in my liquor cabinet for a year or more and my wife hasn’t complained about the taste yet (though she couldn’t have been much of a snob if she married me.)

Comment

Willy, I use that same $7.99 sherry and the recipes seem fine to me, not too sweet or anything. I don't refrigerate it.

I like good sherry but I'm not using $30-40/bottle sherry for cooking

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here