Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What wine to pair w BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What wine to pair w BBQ?

My father in law, a crotchety old coot who won’t drink beer, will demand wine w his dinner. We are having pulled pork sammies, beans, Mac n cheese, and coleslaw.

Im thinking Pinot Noir…but, what do you think?

He’ll want red.
    Last edited by JCBBQ; May 25, 2022, 06:31 AM.

Wow! That is crotchety. He should drink what is offered as a guest! I would say give him a glass of water…. I just can’t think I’ve ever paired wine with pulled pork, beans and Mac n cheese….

Can’t help you on a specific wine, as I’m a beer guy….

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool 😂😂😂

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool I was thinking more of a good box wine...

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing wrong with a good box wine. Bota has some nice varietals.

Only the finest for in-laws,

Last edited by bbqLuv; May 25, 2022, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had five of the seven, back in the day. He will be fine with Pinot Noir.

• Smoke em if you got em
      Smoke em if you got em commented
      Editing a comment
      What? No Annie Green Springs? hahaha! BTW, isn't it customary for the guest to bring wine? Tell him what you're having so he can do the pairing!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I see the T-bird in there!

I think BBQLUV nailed it !!!!
    as for a wine recommendation for your crotchety FI,,,,go with the Mad Dog 20/20 !!!
    Last edited by Greygoose; May 25, 2022, 06:59 AM.

Comment

MD 20 02

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        +3 on the Mad Dog….Be sure and get video….

Good choice with a Pinot, even a Baco.
      Send a message and serve it in a plastic Solo cup if you wanna drive him up the wall.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh. Don’t know Baco. I’ll have to try that at some point. Thanks

My guests always like a Malbec.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Donw I had never heard of a Malbec until I read this post.
        Have not seen that variety that I can remember ever in any LCBO.
        Googled it, seems to be a very regional wine, big in France of course and one other country and out west in BC not so much that I can tell in this area.
        Great info, I learned something new yesterday, there's a variety of grape called a Malbec.

I would go with the Pinot, but if his tastes run a little sweeter, maybe Beaujolais.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah! Beaujolais - forgot about that.

Pinot Noir is a great choice and there are some knock out American Pinots to be had. Recently I had a Harvey & Harriet pinot noir from Paso Robles. Perhaps not the cheapest but a great wine.

Comment

This counts.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest something really crazy: Ask him what he likes.

You'll find a very a wide range of very drinkable, yet inexpensive, reds like Pinot Noir, Malbec, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, etc., out there. If you don't want to ask him, just get a decent, inexpensive red blend instead of a varietal.

I mean, what the heck ... it's to go with BBQ, right?
          Last edited by MBMorgan; May 25, 2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Merlot, if not a dry rose. Personally, prefer a non-oaked vintage for BBQ.

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Rose would probably be really good. Thanks

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Just saying: https://youtu.be/KXXDC5FarhE

Also: This tanked Merlot sales for a decade. So, Merlot has some good deals.

Geez, people. While I get that guests should usually drink what's around, it cuts both ways. Hosts should provide some variety of choices. That's part of hospitality.

Wine-wise, I'd ask what he likes, as MBMorgan suggests and grab some of that. With smoked meats, Syrah or Zin would be my choice. They'll also cut through the Mac and cheese. If the slaw is a creamier dressing it will work there too.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Very true and a great point, apart from my clowning around in above comments, I have Baco's, Pinot's Merlots, Cab Francs in the wine rack right now. All Canadian vintages.
              Haven't brought anything out of Cali lately but am always drawn towards Josh when its on sale.
              My daughter is dating a Portuguese kid so they're reds are sneaking in now too. Good wine and very affordable in these parts anyway.

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Portuguese wines are a total deal. Lots of great reasonably priced stuff.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              He brought over a red blend the other day called Silk & Spice, I gave it an 8.5 to a 9 on the scale.
              It was a very pleasant surprise.

1961 Mouton Rothchild.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              ain't nobody getting that but me!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              A nice Opus 1

My personal favorite is a red zinfandel. Normally I like a cabernet sauvignon, just generally not the cheap supermarket $12 bottles though, but a good zin really goes well with BBQ too, and is often just a scootch gentler pre-food. My favorite zin is Dry Creek, it is one of the best for the low ~$25ish cost, drinks like a potent cab. Cline Ancient Vines is another great affordable one.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              It's been said, that if you can't make a good Zin with fruit from a farm on Dry Creek road, you should stop making wine. For my money, very few ungreat zins from the Dry Creek AVA, with a few that are a bit hot (unbalanced high alcohol).

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here