Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Tequila

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have never yet hurt yourself with mediocre "Tee Kill Ya", then you should never go there. However like many posters here the worst hangover I ever had was from Tequila. It goes something like this, many moons ago and at an age that I thought I was invincible, my birthday occurred and I headed out to lower Greenville Ave in Dallas with a few good friends. We enjoyed a nice Tex-Mex feast many margaritas and several beers also. I was just about to throw in the towel when a another friend of ours arrived and that's when it began to get ugly. He brought it to our table's attention that behind the Blue Goose Cantina bar they had a 5 gallon water bottle with a tap in it that was full of Tequila and a mixture of layers of hot peppers, some of which were Habaneros. Uh Oh, he stated that birthday boy - yours truly - could not properly consider to have had a good time out on his birthday without doing a couple of shots of that fire water. Well cooler heads should have spoken and did so. But upon my attempts at polite refusal something about a challenge to my manhood was uttered and then all hell broke loose. Hey bartender line em up was requested and after maybe 3-4 shots we finally called it a night. It was a good thing my friend lived about 3 blocks away as we stumbled home. We had arranged to go duck hunting the next day on a local area lake. It was cold spitting a light frozen rain and significant wave action. OK so here I am near dead with a horrible hangover riding in a pitching boat dressed up in chest high neoprene waders and heavy coats when all of a sudden...... Question have any of you experience an immediate case of the hershey squirts the morning after eating much mexican food and drinking a lot of Tequila? Ok I see a couple of hands raised. Have any of you found yourself in this situation while in a pitching boat at O'dawn thirty, in the middle of a lake with neoprene chest waders on? NO? Oh I see one hand raised = mine. Yes I managed to perform a hazardous marine waste discharged without falling in and without getting any on me too. We made it to the shallows and proceeded to bring home some birds and it went something like this. No aspirin onhand a few cold beers (yes illegal and not safe when mixed with firearms). But these were castaways left over from a previous boating trip and and we happened upon when we discovered we had no drinking water aboard. So I had a beer or two and would be hanging onto the boat so as not to collapse and sink to the bottom of the lake. My friend was calling 'em in and by the time he had 'em in range and had already shot I would arise from my painful stupor and take a few shots at going away birds. We brought home a few ducks and I proceeded to recover later that day with a couple of doobs and ended up making some duck and sausage gumbo that all enjoyed. OUCH it hurts remembering that birthday. I do still enjoy moderate consumption of Tequila but not when mixed and aged with hot peppers!
    Last edited by Michael Watson; October 4, 2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, lower Greenville. I miss Tex-Mex from my Dallas days, but I really miss Snuffers and those cheese fries.

I, thankfully, have no stories to match Mr. Watson.

That said, we tried Olmeca Altos Reposado last night. Vanilla and Cinnamon on the front. Nice finish.

Comment

My friends and family have banned me from drinking Tequila

Comment

Originally posted by David S View Post
        I, thankfully, have no stories to match Mr. Watson.

That said, we tried Olmeca Altos Reposado last night. Vanilla and Cinnamon on the front. Nice finish.
        Tried Olmeca Altos Silver too. Excellent sipping tequila.

Comment

I just discovered it as well. Very nice tequila and it cost me less than Cuervo Gold

Comment

One of my major weaknesses. If I had a bar like the setup earlier in this post I don't think I'd ever leave the house!

Comment

My favourite alcohol is tequila. A conclusion I eventually came to after we toured a tequila factory in Mexico in 2009. We (a group of Canadians, or Gringos as they like to call us) finished the tour and we were given a shot of the reposado they had. They had some salt and some limes on the table and we were all discussing the order in which you "take a shot of Tequila" - salt, Tequila, lime? Lime Tequila salt? When the tour guide noticed we were about to shoot it, he came over and stopped us. As far as we were concerned, that's how you drink tequila - you shoot it. What do we know about tequila, we're Canadian.

He then proceeded to enlighten us on the notion that you can sip tequila. Squirt a little lime in it, a dash of salt, and sip it so you can taste it. Well, to my surprise, it was quite tasty. Then it became my quest to try many different kinds of tequila to see how different they all are, and which are the good ones and which ones to stay away from. I don't put lime and salt in sipping tequila now though.

I found that I like the silver in margaritas and I like the reposados and anejo's for sipping. Not sure what my favourite is, as I have a limited selection here in Saskatchewan. I would like to be able to try more before I annoint just one as my favourite. So far, however, I like the Cazadores gold and anejo and the Don Julio Reposado a friend brought me from Mexico. If you haven't already been to www.tequila.net it's amazing (to me) that there are so many different brands of tequila. I also have the skull head (day of the dead - Kah, I think) 70% alcohol tequila. It's quite strong, but still tasty despite the alcohol content.

Alas, my limited stock of tequila is now sitting idle as I wait for my liver to get better. Once I'm healed I'll celebrate with a margarita. Classic lime - on the rocks. 1 1/2 oz tequila (any silver will do - even the mixtos Sauza and Cuervo), 1oz triple sec, 1/2oz freshly squeezed lime juice, and sometimes a little squirt of agave nectar/syrup. Coarse salt on the rim. Not too much ice, however. Don't want to dilute it too much. I usually keep the booze in the fridge or freezer for margarita making. I don't mind the "slushy" versions, but definitely prefer on the rocks.

I have gotten sick on tequila, but it was already after I learned to like it, so it didn't ruin me for it, as has happened to many. Nothing like Mr. Watson above, however. Yikes. Rough day.

Tried a mezcal once. I didn't like it as much.
              Last edited by SaskatoonBusche; February 3, 2015, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Been away for a little while, seems like some good stories! That is what it is all about anyway, right? Tequila, BBQ, friends? If you ever find yourself headed to central NC send me a shout, we'll smoke some meat and try some new ones!

Comment

I generally stay away from it, as Medusa isn't so benign after awhile - this is after the "invisible" stage. I did look at a collection at the local "Red Ball" ( for you yankees!), and saw a bottle that went for $400.00.

It only took twice with Mescal, and that was quite awhile back in the Navy days. ARRRGHH! I'm a Pirate!

--Ed

Comment

I am a scotch drinker. With that said, I am kind of partial to Sauza's Tres Generaciones (Three Generations) It is smooth and goes well with sangrita ( not sangria) (btw, I probably spelled the spanish version of generations incorrectly)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here