Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infinity Bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infinity Bottle

As I've gotten in to bourbon over the last several months, I learned about something called an Infinity Bottle. The idea is that you pour the last ounce or half ounce (or first.... or somewhere in the middle) of every bottle of bourbon you get into one bottle, let it mingle, then the idea is that every time you drink it, you drink a little bit of every bourbon you've ever added to it.

I started my infinity bottle this weekend, with 1 oz each of: Eagle Rare 10yr, Weller 12yr, Weller Antique, Weller Special Reserve, Weller CYPB, Old Forester 1920, Clyde May's, 1792 Small Batch, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, and Four Roses Single Barrel. I couldn't bring myself to add any of my Blanton's yet, but I will eventually.

I'm going to let it sit for a couple weeks, let the edges round off and give it a try. I will report here.

I also started my Poor Man's Pappy batch this weekend. Got some stuff to look forward to.

Hmmm - I may give this a try with brisket.

Infinity brisket has a nice ring to it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha, you kill me!

Love that idea! I will do this sicne I am all for having unique fun with bourbon.

As an aside, I am on my second batch of barrel-aged gin (this time Beefeater) and my 3L of Buffalo Trace is 1.5 months old and already tasting so different.

Comment

Oh, ya jus gotta know that I'm all in on this Infinity Bottle!

Startin one tonight, reckon last count I had 13-14 bottles of Bourbon roostin on my bar.

I have mixed shots almost every evenin, so it should be fun to see what I come up with!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely need to come hang
        out with you!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Gimme a holler, stop on by, Amigo!

Any Ol Time,...

You have a little left over in your bottles... I must be doing something wrong.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        An that's even after hangin em, like an IV bottle...

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        OF 1920 was the only one near empty. I had to exert extreme self control at the end of that bottle to save a bit, rather than just polishing it off. I just added 1 oz from all the rest to get the bottle started.

As much as I enjoy bourbon, I only have one or two drinks a week. With my work and commute, I don't have a lot of time in the evening between the time I get home and the time I have to go to bed, so I prefer to wait until I can savor the flavor on the weekends.

We used to do an infinity glass when we'd have a kegger when I was much younger. Just top off your plastic cup every time you walk by the keg and never let it hit bottom. That way, no matter your condition at the end of the night, you could say you only had one beer.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! That brought back an old dusty memory. When I was in college, my fraternity had a party at a bar where pitchers of beer were $1. Everyone basically had a pitcher in one hand and a cup in the other, and we kept topping each other's cups off. Same effect. Funny - I haven't thought about that in years.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha this one is much easier to achieve for me! I'm down to one keg of beer in the garage but am back to brewing, with about 14 kegs planned between now and October.

What happens if you wind up with a bottle full of 'meh' quality whiskey?

Comment

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        That's certainly possible. I probably should have gone with 1/2 oz of each instead of a full oz, just in case that happens. But I bet it won't.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Reckon I'd use it to make some bourbon baked beans!

I think th likelihood is low, though, since I don't really have any that are meh, on their own.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        There are enough people around that drink hi-balls that I'm sure you could use it up. Whiskey & Coke, Sour, 7UP, etc.

Looking in my cabinet, I have really low bottles of Old Forester, Sazerac Rye, Bulleit Rye, Yellowstone, Ezra Brooks, Weller, and Buffalo Trace. I might ensure there's only 1/2oz or so (time to have a sipping party in the name of science) and combine them. Might skip the Ezra Brooks, it's a 'meh' whiskey IMO.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        That's bold, mixing bourbon and rye! I like them both but to me they're very different. I'd be afraid that instead of complementing each other, they'd turn into something I didn't enjoy. For that, I might try just a dash of each to make total 1-2 oz pour to see if I liked it. But that's just me.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Great point Buck Flicks. Not as crazy as mixing bourbon & Scotch (which I will never do, lord help me if I did!) but a good point nonetheless. I might try a couple tiny mixings to make sure, but Sazerac and Bulleit rye are both very mild ryes IMO and I don't think they're much to worry about. Although there's enough bourbons there to just separate them do an infinity rye too!

I would need one gigantic ass bottle if I was going to start that right now (I may have a problem btw LOL). I do like the idea though!

Comment

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        Not if you drink a dram every once in a while ;-)

• myndcraft
        myndcraft commented
        Editing a comment
        One would think that Buck! I have a dram, or two, every night though with a cigar. Unfortunately I have a friend at the local liquor store who is always setting bottles aside for me

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        I meant a dram or two of the infinity bottle. Keep making room in it!

I suppose if you ended up with a "meh" blend, you could use it as a spritz for your next cook -- I wouldn't think you'd need the good stuff for that. One Youtube video of smoking beef ribs, the guy was using a spritz of 1/3 bourbon and 2/3 apple cider to baste the ribs. Sounded kinda good.

Comment

Considering I usually only have one bottle of any specific liquor on hand at a time, this might be tough to implement. Right now I've got one Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye, bottled on my birthday last year, that is almost empty. One bottle of Johnny Walker black label (12 year) scotch, and one bottle of Elijah Craig small batch... and I for sure do not want to mix any of those together! Maybe I will just get another bottle of the rye to mix in, and keep that decorative bottle of rye with my birthday on the label going.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Not normally a Jack fan but their rye is really good. I think it and the Elijah Craig would mix very well. I happen to also love EC. I'd leave the JW out if it though for sure.

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely hold on to that decorative bottle... I used the bottle from Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit for my Infinity Bottle because it's one of the coolest whiskey bottles I've seen that wasn't a special decorative, and now that bottle style is discontinued because it was expensive to make.
          Last edited by Buck Flicks; April 30, 2019, 08:14 AM.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Buck Flicks I will definitely hang onto the Rye bottle - its pretty cool sitting in my office on top of an antique wooden filing cabinet, with a couple of Jack Daniels glasses (upside down to keep the dust out). I'll refill it with something for sure. Of course, you can buy it all over the place - I got mine at the distillery up in Tennessee last fall.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here