Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof....Oh my.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof....Oh my.

Stepping away from budget bourbons ($40 is usually my upper limit) I did something I don’t usually do. I splurged on a bottle that I have never tried. But I did it based on rave reviews from sites/blogs (Breaking Bourbon gives it 4/5 barrels) I respect. Plus, this stuff is nearly impossible to get in my neck of the woods. I’ve never seen it actually, and the store clerk said it had been several months since he had seen it. There were only 4 bottles. So, I grabbed one and it set me back $60. If there is one good thing about an ABC store being state owned, it’s that they can’t gouge you on price.

Like most other Heaven Hill products, the mash bill is 75% corn, 13% rye, and 12% malted barley. The batch number on my bottle was C918 (C meaning the third batch, and 918 means it was bottled Sept 2018). ECBP is aged for 12 years and this particular bottle is 131 proof. Giddy-up.

Don’t go nose-diving into this one unless you want to thin out some nose hairs. That’s not a knock on this dram, but it is 131 proof, which approaches Hazmat status. That being said, the alcohol is not as prominent as one would think. The nose is sweet and oaky, full of baking spices, sweet corn, and cake frosting. I grinned. This is going to be good.

I took my first couple of sips neat and expected to be blasted by the proof.....I wasn’t. In fact, it is surprisingly (and dangerously) smooth. It tastes a lot like it smells. It’s friggin’ amazing. I appreciated the proof once it hit my stomach, as I was overcome with a cozy warmth - like a nice warm blanket by a crackling fire. Wow. All I needed was a chilly moon-lit evening and snow and the experience would have been perfect. I then added a small piece of ice (which is how I usually enjoy my high proof bourbons, as it helps to gradually peel back the layers as the ice melts). Each sip uncovered new flavors without diluting the mouthfeel of the bourbon. It’s damn near perfect.

Needless to say, this has become my #1 favorite bourbon. If the price were double, it would be worth it, but then I wouldn’t be able to share my experience with you because that would be well above my pay grade. At $60, however, this is a steel. If you find a bottle, buy it. Trust me.

Great write up. Thanks. I'll have keep my eyes open for a bottle.

Comment

Excellent write up and I'm not even into the exotic liquors and I have been grateful of that for years! I don't need another hobby or habit that comes with the price tag of endless and unrelenting MCS only in another form! But with that being said I'm going to keep a eye out when I'm in the bottle shop just based on your review!

Comment

"Hazmat status" I love that, I'm going to have to borrow that line!

I am anxious to try that, I love regular ol' EC. I usually steer clear of the barrel proofs since it becomes 'work' to sip them (Stagg Jr comes to mind), but I am a glutton for punishment too sometimes. I like to cut them with a drop or 6 of water.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. This one works VERY well with just a touch of room-temp H2O, in my experience. And I mean a touch. Not much.

Thanks for the write up. My latest go to has been Buffalo Trace when I can find it and Four Roses Single Barrel when I can't. I recently tried Angels Envy and wasn't impressed, and J.W. Kelly Single Barrel that grew on me. I have stood in the store in front of Elijah Craig and never pulled the trigger. I am going to put this on my holiday shopping list.

Comment

Great write up. Will have to add this to my list.

Comment

My very first sip of bourbon was regular EC with ice. Fell in love immediately. I’ve sipped a few good ones since but none really better. Gonna have to look for the Barrel Proof. Thanks for this.

Comment

I was right there with you on that write-up. Thanks so much, but your write-up just didn't last long enough. I'll be looking for the real thing now.

Comment

I've had an epiphany - during the Xmas break I'll get an EC Barrel Proof and binge-listen to the Pit Casts, while watching streaming pics of smokers. I will then either emerge as

BBQ MAN!

or something else entirely

Comment

C918 still continues to impress 2 months later. I have gone through half the bottle. The last time I partook I picked up some sweet pipe tobacco on the nose and a little on the palate. It reminded me of my late grandpa who used to sit on his porch and smoke his pipes. I loved that. And I love a bourbon that triggers childhood sensations/memories.

In the meantime, Heaven Hill recently released batch A119. This one has gone nuclear - 135 proof. It’s not as smooth as C918 but still packed with flavor. Dilution is the solution to enjoy this bottle.

I’m tempted to try mixing a little from bottles I have to what happens.

Next batch release is in May.

Comment

• DeusDingo
                    DeusDingo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thanks for keeping up with it for us!

Thanks for the update ColonialDawg. I looked for a bottle back in January and came up empty (the search I mean not the bottle). But I will restart my quest this weekend.

Comment

I like cask strength bottling. My favorite is Stagg Jr

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have yet to try that one - impossible to find here in Va.

I've had a couple bottles of this one, and I have I think 3 bottles left in holding. My local store still has a few, I really need to snatch some more up. I think I have a B bottle sitting aside, that was the one awarded "Whiskey of the Year" status, and a couple of C versions.

It's good, good stuff. Very stout, I like mine with a few drops of water right out of the tap. Generally EC is my go-to everyday bourbon, along with Larceny when I can find the 1.75L size, but this Barrel Proof is awesome - mine have all run 131 to 134 proof, and they mean it.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Eh, I just checked and I have only 2 bottles left (B00!) but they are the B518 (YAY!). I think it was the B517 that won Whiskey of the Year.

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would have loved to try the B117 batch. I here that one was special. C918 was my first taste and it is delicious. A119, while not as great as C918 (IMHO) it is still a damn fine bourbon and worth the purchase. I usually put an ice cube in mine which mellows the fallout and really makes the flavors pop.

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I posted about Larceny a few months ago - I initially liked it a lot but then something happened and I literally hdumped the bottle. It’s the only time I have ever done that. Then someone mentioned cork taint and I really think that’s what happeneded because the taste was night and day.

Found a bottle today. Actually the store had 6 bottles, all the same batch, A119. Your State store is doing you a service at $60.00 a bottle. I paid $74.99. 135.2 proof. Proceed with caution. Review to follow.

Comment

Someone told me that warm cozy feeling that slowly spreads through belly and esophagus is called the "Kentucky Hug." I love that term.

120 is about the highest proof I can take neat, but the better the bourbon, the easier higher proof I can tolerate. I have whiskey ball ice molds which are great because they don't melt as fast as regular ice cubes so you can slowly enjoy the dilution, and in stages, like you described.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                        ColonialDawg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I usually dilute this bourbon myself as it cuts the heat but allows the flavors to explode. And the Kentucky Hug is preserved - just not as....aggressive.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here