Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (White Label)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (White Label)

In my search for quality bourbons that don’t break the bank but yet are grossly underrated or overlooked, I have heard and read a lot about Evan Williams BIB (aka Evan Williams White Label). Well, I bought a 750 ml bottle yesterday for $13 at my local ABC Store...off the lower shelf. I figure if I hate it, it will only have cost me $13 and I can just serve it to people I don’t like.

On appearance alone, it is definitely a bottom shelf bourbon. The bottle is nothing to get excited about. The white label says "this is a cheap bourbon so don’t get your hopes up." The white screw on cap doesn’t do anything to boost that image one bit.

So, what do we know about Evan Williams White Label? It’s produced by Heaven Hill Distillery. Being Bottled in Bond, it is 100 proof and is aged at least 4 years, although I have read this one is actually aged 5 years. The mashbill is 75% Corn, 13% Rye, and 12% Malted barley

The bourbon is a nice dark copper penny color. I kind of winced as broke the plastic seal unscrewing the cheap white cap. Oh boy....

Well let me tell you folks, don’t let the label or cheap plastic cap, or the $13 price tag fool you. This is a nice bourbon I wouldn’t mind pouring for friends.

I’m not a sommelier so I won’t try to wow you with uppity sounding tasting notes.

The nose is sweet and spicy. You can smell the oak but it isn’t prominent.

The palate is very nice. If you like sweet bourbons, you’ll really like this one. In fact, it can almost be served as dessert bourbon. The spiciness of the rye pairs well with the sweetness. Adding water tempers the sweetness but really doesn’t dilute the flavors. The aftertaste drops off pretty quickly and is in no way bad. This is a bourbon I would definitely enjoy in a classic cocktail, like an Old Fashioned or Mint Julep. But it holds up neat just fine.

Despite the $13 dollars and lower shelf, this is a worthy dram to keep around. Put it in a nice decanter on your bar counter and no one will know it’s a cheap pour. If Heaven Hill produced a nicer label and used a cork rather than screw cap, no one would think twice spending $35 for this.

Here’s a more refined review:

Great post 👍

Comment

Nice review! I've had one of their expressions with a white label and I don't remember if it was this one or not, but I liked it, whatever I had. However I do not like their single barrel, at least the bottle I had from its respective barrel, it was nutty and unimpressive.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to agree with you. I heard good things about the single barrel bourbon and our local ABC had it on sale for $25 recently, so I bought a bottle. So far, it hasn’t lived up to the hype. But so it goes with single barrel offerings. I might let it sit for a few weeks and then revisit. Sometimes bourbon needs to breath for a while to open up.

This is actually my go to for just every day sipping. One of the best values around.

Comment

Speaking of screw tops, I have no knowledge or experience with corks vs screw tops or whatever when it comes to hard liquor, but I can say I now put having a screw top on a wine bottle as a distinct plus. In Australia and New Zealand, screw tops are ubiquitous and I bet it'd be hard to find a cork screw there. Matter of fact, I think I'll start a poll thread on this topic.

Anyway, your comments?

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t disagree with you one bit. Screw tops have many advantages for sure. Here in the States, upper shelf bourbons (aka better quality/more expensive) tend to have cork tops while lower shelf bourbons tend to have screw tops (and are perceived to be of lesser quality). It’s all about marketing.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Cork is simply tradition, and might have that 'authentic' feel to some, but there is no difference. I have asked various wineries and distilleries when I've toured, and they are all in unison, even the ones who still use corks say it's because of tradition, and feel. Something about poppin' that cork that feels good.

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          That popping cork is a nice sound.

screw tops seal every time, no matter how many times they are removed. corks, not so much so.

Comment

I don't go through a lot of bourbon here, but you've inspired me to pick up a bottle of this.

Comment

I have found the same to be true for Jim Beam Black Label Double Aged. It has about the same price point but is also a nice drinking bourbon.

Comment

Great write up, you might not claim to be a sommelier but you reviewed that nicely.

Oh oh and War Eagle! Don’t beat us too bad....

Comment

• au4stree
                au4stree commented
                Editing a comment
                Love the UGA v AU game, but this year, AU just doens't have it....I've said since he got to the Plains, Gus is in over his head. Oh well, at least we have bbq and good bourbon.

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                I learned to love your school, enjoy college football, but to not get too emotional about 18 year old prima donnas and overpaid college coaches. Bourbon and BBQ is another matter, of course. We can definitely agree on that!

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                You guys still have a football program? Just kidding. I enjoy the rivalry. No matter how high the Tide may be, Auburn can find a way to make epic contests.

Sounds like worth a try. Always looking for value in these products. In my opinion, many are way over priced, with only a slight difference in taste and quality. I frequently go by if I have a headache the next day.

Comment

Times such as this are far to rare to be cheapened by heavy handed narratives, so I will lay rest the grace in my words and without further ado proclaim:

I'd give that a shot!

Actually, I like most variations of Evan Williams. Be it weight of history, strength of character or honor to distilling I believe Evan Williams to be, for the most part, drams respecting American bottling.

Comment

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  boy I was inebriated when I posted this....

stopped by the abc store yesterday and picked up a bottle of evan white label, while i was there i found another brand, benchmark, that had been recommended by a friend. it was under ten bucks! gave them both a try last night, for the price, they were both very impressive. funny thing is i tried for years to find a reasonably priced s/m scotch, got tired of throwing away sub fifty dollars bottles

Comment

Gonna go look for this one. Always willing to try new bourbon.

Comment

Thanks for the post. I've had one of Evan Williams Bourbons but not sure witch one.I'll have to look for White Label. Price doesn't always guarantee a smooth bourbon.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are right about that, Skip. It’s one of the reasons I don’t pay more than $40 for bourbon I have never tried. Everyone’s palate is different, and I have had too many "cheap" bourbons that taste as good, if better than ones that cost more. More time in the barrel doesn’t always equal a better bourbon.

I agree that this is one of the better values around. No one is going to be mad at this one. I won't think twice about using this in a cocktail, won't care if a friend wants to mix it with soda, and it is still just fine to drink neat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here