Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourbon advice

My wife and I are heading to Charleston this week and while I am there I want to look for some bourbon I can’t find here in Virginia. I am mainly interested in trying one of the Weller bourbons, and am curious to know which one to look for: Weller 12 year seems to be the most touted, although from what I read it is impossible to find now and you can expect to pay a lot more than the $30 MSRP. So, that leaves me with Weller Antique and Weller Special Reserve. Others I am interested in finding are Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel, Blanton, and possibly William Larue Weller Antique.

Out of those, I would love to get opinions from those who have tried these bourbons. Also, is there a liquor store or two in Charleston that is recommended? I’m staying on Johns Island. Thanks!

Todd

Of those mentioned Weller is really good but Blanton's is better imho. Blanton's (if or when you can get it) sells for about $52 at Total Wine here. About the only place I can get it.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a member of the Total Wine club, and the closest one to me is around an hour away. And I frequent it. I am not sure what to think about that...

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      $70 for Blanton's here. It's good, though.

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      2nd the recommendation to snatch up Blanton's. Fantastic bourbon

I have had Elmer T Lee Single Barrel. I had it in a bar and someone else was buying, so it was excellent

Comment

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
      I have had Elmer T Lee Single Barrel. I had it in a bar and someone else was buying, so it was excellent
      I'm sure that added to the pleasure!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        In that case how about a round for all 2,400 of us ????

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF, what you said.

IMO Blanton's although tasty its a bit harsh. Angles Envy and Basil Hayden (my fav) are two of my go to sipping burbons.

Comment

• jgreen
        jgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on the Angels Envy.

• dahcopilot
        dahcopilot commented
        Editing a comment
        basil hayden dark rye is awesome

My favorite is J Henry & Sons but it is regional (Wisconsin Straight Bourbon, yes someone is putting some of this great Wisconsin corn to good use) and you may not be able to get it in Charleston. But I have had Weller Special Reserve and it is excellent.

Comment

Have you have tried the other Buffalo Trace Distillery products? If not I would recommend starting with their flagship (Buffalo Trace) and then Eagle Rare. I always keep a bottle of Blanton’s in my cabinet but typically reach for Buffalo or Eagle with a dash or 2 of a seasonal flavored bitters.
        If you have tried these already you are obviously a BTD fan as I believe all you mentioned are made by them. Interesting that your local shops do not carry the whole product line, van Winkle line excluded. PA stores do a decent job of keeping stocked shelves of the mainstream products.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Buffalo Trace is my go to, when I can find it. It is becoming pretty hard to find. After that is, surprisingly, Four Roses Single Barrel.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on Eagle Rare, I have tried that. Good stuff !!

Stagg Jr. and J.D. Single Barrell cask strength are my go to whiskeys. Of the ones listed, blantons and then the Weller 12.

Comment

I will bring up the restaurant Husk again since I know they have a large bourbon and whiskey menu. They do not post it on their website however since availability changes for them. I did however find a picture from tripadvisor that someone took and posted to give you an idea. Also another restaurant that I know that has a decent bourbon selection is The Capital Grille. This is not a cheap place by any means but if you are just stopping in at the bar then hey who cares.

Comment

I'm crazy about Knob Creek.

Comment

All excellent choices from reading I've done. And interestingly all of the ones you mention are Buffalo Trace whiskies. Of the Weller offerings I only have personal experience with Weller Special Reserve, but it's great. Weller is a wheated bourbon, meaning there's a higher percentage of wheat in the mash bill than in the typical bourbon (Maker's Mark is another popular wheated bourbon). This gives a smoother, slightly sweeter whiskey.

Blanton's & Basil Hayden's have a higher percentage of rye in them, but are still legally "bourbon", so you get some extra flavor notes above a typical bourbon while remaining smooth.

I have heard some pros say Elmer T Lee is better than Blanton's, but I have yet to find it to try it myself. Blanton's is a very noteworthy bourbon, very flavorful, the flavor lingers. It's not my favorite though, especially for its price, I think it's too expensive. IMO Eagle Rare is the best bang for the buck out there. Like anything though, it's all subjective.

Some other GREAT ones for the money, in order of smoothest first toward harsher (in my personal opinion that is)

Elijah Craig
              Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (a little pricy)
              Woodford Reserve
              E. H. Taylor
              Eagle Rare
              Buffalo Trace
              Knob Creek
              Stagg Jr.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Brewmaster Of course! But I thought BT was implied. I added it.

• Jarret
                Jarret commented
                Editing a comment
                Woodford is always on sale at the base for $20 I love that stuff.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                glad the Stagg Jr.made the list. one of my favorites.

Hard to find fault in Huskee 's list. I'd add Maker's 46 - a little smoother and deeper than standard MM. Weller Bourbons are some of my personal fav's: Antique 107, 12 year, Special Reserve.
              Last edited by BourBonQ; October 11, 2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Tavern Wine & Spirits in the French Quarter is worth checking out, downtown next to the old dungeon. Oldest liquor store in America, dating back to late 1600's. Can usually find something out of the ordinary, but a little pricey given it's location. If you happen to drive over to the Isle of Palms check out Island Liquors, they don't put everything on the shelves, just ask if they have anything interesting.

Comment

I'm in Charleston now and lucked out on finding a bottle of Weller Antique today.

I do like Eagle Rare, but was never blown away by Buffalo Trace. EH Taylor Small Batch is a great bourbon - I have a bottle in my cabinet right now, along with some Four Roses SB. Weller will be a nice addition. From what I am discovering, Weller 12 yr and Elmer T Lee are rarer than hen's teeth.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have fun! If you do happen to find Elmer pick me up a bottle too!

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's crazy how in some places you'll never see a bottle. But then found out one of my clients bought 4 bottles in NYC recently.

Just curious... where'd you find the Weller? Great score.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Burris Liquor Store in downtown. Those guys are great.

• BourBonQ
                    BourBonQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Completely forgot about that place since they moved into the new building. It used to be across the street where the new hotel is and was shut down for a little while when they were relocating. Thanks for the reminder, will have to check them out again soon.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here