Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For All You Buffalo Trace fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For All You Buffalo Trace fans

One of the Tucson Costcos had BT for $20 a bottle.

I'm trying just to find a liquor store in DFW that carries Buffalo Trace products. Specifically I want Old Weller Antique and Weller 12 year old so I can make Poor Man's Pappy.

Comment

• Oozzy
      Oozzy commented
      Editing a comment
      Had to google Poor Man's Pappy and will definitely be giving that a try.

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm... never thought about that. I'll have to give that a shot. Total Wine (one of the bigger liquor stores in DFW, in terms of size of locations) doesn't even carry Buffalo Trace. I haven't had a lot of luck with Spec's in the past, though they claim to have the best selection.

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      The guy who brusquely told me they didn't have ANY BT products wasn't clear. I asked someone else recently, and they said Pretty much any BT distiller bottle (BT, Weller, Van Winkle, etc) sells out almost immediately, and they didn't have any at that time. The first dude didn't make that clear. Bourbon has exploded in popularity recently and demand far exceeds supply for rare bottles.

The bottle for the Wellers is very, very similar to what Two Stars is packaged in. The gentleman at TW even said something about this to me but at the time it didn’t register. This was a few years ago.

Ill be looking for these others to see if I can make this blend. Thanks for sharing.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      Clear Spring is under the Sazerac umbrella, which owns Buffalo Trace and WL Weller among others. They do use that style of bottle for multiple spirits.

Originally posted by Buck Flicks View Post
    I'm trying just to find a liquor store in DFW that carries Buffalo Trace products. Specifically I want Old Weller Antique and Weller 12 year old so I can make Poor Man's Pappy.
    As we speak I have Weller Reserve aging in a toasted barrel. Saving enough original of course to do a side by side in 1 month and again in 2.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Buck Flicks Amazon, they sell charred barrels of many different sizes. 1L up to gallons.

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee how did that turn out? I am seriously considering getting a barrel off Amazon. I like Weller Reserve as it is, but I'm interested to see how yours turned out.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Buck Flicks i can't describe it in words really, so so so good. Oakey, caramelly, thick, sweet, goooood.

Huskee I'm on my way to your house in a month! See you then.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Would love to sip a dram with you!

It’s a head scratcher to me why some people have no problem getting Weller 12-yr or Weller Antique while others (like us here in Va) will never see a bottle. I blame the ABC govt-run stores, which are next to worthless. Alcohol sales should be private and not state-run.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Can’t order online here in Va - against the law.

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      I third that here in Alabama. However, once in a blue moon we get Buffalo Trace products, not often, but we do get them. It seems Eagle Rare is more consistent than any of the others.

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      Our stores here in DFW only get a couple bottles at a time from Buffalo Trace, and there are two DFW bourbon facebook groups who post their inside information so hundreds of people know about them, and there is usually a line 10-20 deep before the store opens waiting to grab them. Then the same members complain about the people who camp outside the stores. Guess they don't see that it IS them.

Thankfully we don't have ABC stores in MI, any gas station or supermarket can sell booze and beer. (I've had outof state friends marvel at how odd that is to them to see booze an aisle over from the canned goods) But it's state minimum pricing so the state sets the price not the retailer (tax money). Some stores will advertise "State Minimum Pricing" on signs on the shelves, as if it's a marketing ploy to convince you the prices are low. I suppose that might work for some people, LOL.

Comment

originally from ga, free market. stores compete, great selections and the state still get's their money. load up every time i go down.

Comment

Hit the jackpot on my lunch break today. Went to a few stores and it wasn't until the 3rd store that I found any BT or Weller's products at all. But OH what a jackpot... got a Weller's reserve (daily drinking) AND an Old Weller's Antique (special occasions) AND AND AND.... a Weller's CYPB (VERY special occasions,) which are generally nabbed as soon as they arrive at the store.

Can't wait to get home and do a comparison tasting tonight. I've read that the CYPB is comparable to an Antique/12 year old hybrid, which was the point of getting an bottle of Antique and 12 year old in the first place... to make a hybrid. We'll see.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          The Reserve was good, but not great. I like Maker's Mark 46 better. The Antique was great. Maybe my new favorite. The CYPB was pretty darn good but not worthy of the hype and hysteria it is generating (more because of the false demand Weller's is creating by only shipping a few bottles to a given region at a time than the quality of the bourbon.)

I recently scored a bottle of Weller Antique in South Carolina recently and it’s definitely now in my top 5. Neat or with a little ice - either way is excellent.

Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday. I tried it for the first time a year ago and was underwhelmed. But I thought I’d give it another try since so many rave about it (thinking maybe the Batch I got wasn’t that good). Once again, I just wasn’t blown away by it. It’s not a bad bourbon, but nothing to write home about.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the same experience, Dawg. Buffalo Trace was ok, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Might be good in cocktails like Manhattan and Old Fashioned and my bourbon toddy. But Weller Antique is one of my top favorites now. Those are a little easier to find than Weller 12 year old.

Originally posted by ColonialDawg View Post
        Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday. I tried it for the first time a year ago and was underwhelmed. But I thought I’d give it another try since so many rave about it (thinking maybe the Batch I got wasn’t that good). Once again, I just wasn’t blown away by it. It’s not a bad bourbon, but nothing to write home about.
        I agree. Buffalo Trace is a good "average" bourbon. It's no age statement and blended so they can get the flavor the same in each bottle so there's uniformity at least, but it's also unwheated and lower rye. So if you like the slightly smoother & sweeter taste of wheated bourbons like Maker's and Weller, this will be a little more harsh. If you like the herbal spice of ryes or higher-rye bourbons like Basil Hayden's or Blanton's, this will underwhelm you. I however really like BT for how it plays into the current spectrum of available whiskies, and its price is hard to beat for something already worlds better than Jim Beam & Jack Daniels, in my opinion.

A high rye bourbon that, to me, seems more subtle like a high wheat bourbon, is Yellowstone. Have you had the chance to try that? You might like it.

Comment

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          I also like a little rye in an Old fashioned, but prefer less rye when drinking up/rocks.

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          After opening the bottle 3 weeks ago, the flavor has changed a little and is starting to peak my interest more. Perhaps a little air is good for this one.

I just finished a bottle of EH Taylor Small Batch. If it showed up at the ABC store regularly, I’d keep a bottle in my cabinet all the time. It’s a fantastic bourbon.
          Last edited by ColonialDawg; November 26, 2018, 02:37 PM.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          ColonialDawg Agreed! I can't hardly ever find it around here, but when I do I act!

I wish I could afford to send all of you a bottle of J. Henry & Sons from here in Wisconsin. That's right, a Wisconsin Bourbon. Finally someone put some of this great Wisconsin corn to real good use. This bourbon is award winning and I'm not just a Wisconsin homer: it is really, really good. check it out. https://jhenryandsons.com/

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You don't have to send all of us a bottle, just me! I will watch for that and see if any has made it across the water to Michigan to my local stores. Thanks for sharing.

Here in GA it seems that there isn't as much of a run on Buffalo Trace anymore, but Weller (even the SR) never makes it to the shelves. Neither one are remarkable in my opinion, and certainly not worth chasing, but to each their own. That said, Buffalo Trace is still something I would point someone that is interested in bourbon to try. It's a good representation of classic bourbon flavors, and not something they'll run away from.

Comment

Despite branching out recently, I keep drifting back to Makers and Makers 46. I've managed to find a few nice unicorn or near-unicorn bottles recently, and some just a couple notches above "typical" that are nice drinkers, a little more expensive, but easier to find: Four Roses Single Barrel, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (really enjoy this one,) the Wellers I mentioned previously, the TX Bourbon I mentioned above, and 1792 Total Wine's store pick, which is fantastic... They're all great and different which is nice for variety. But I'm happy with Makers 46, it's easy to find, not overpriced by unscrupulous liquor store owners, and it's got a cool bottle. Checks most of my boxes.

BUT... I'm always on the lookout for, and appreciative of, suggestions for really tasty bourbons.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            This is one I want to try. I bought a 375 ml bottle of Maker’s Cask Strength recently and it’s now in my top 5.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I am a Buffalo Trace fan, but Four Roses Single Barrel is a favorite right now.

Haven’t had BT yet, but it’s on my short list. I’ve tried a ton of bourbons - even many of the more expensive ones - but always come back to a Wild Turkey Rare Breed (or 101 for cocktails and hot toddies).

Comment

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            I need to pick up a bottle of Rare Breed. You might like the Kentucky Spirit, too. It's basically the 101 with some extra aging.

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve had Kentucky Spirit too...it’s excellent. I wouldn’t mind having a bottle of each of them!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here