Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great Home-blended Whiskey Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Home-blended Whiskey Experiment

So if anyone read my post from yesterday on mixing Eagle Rare and Blanton's to get closer to a 'perfect' bourbon, you'll know what this post here is all about. If not you could check it out if it interests you.

Today I decided to mix up 5 samples in the quest to find a perfect blend.

1. "Eagleton's" --this is what I call a mix of 50/50 Eagle Rare & Blanton's
    2. Straight Blanton's (control)
    3. Eagleton's & 1/3 Ole George Straight Rye
    4. Eagleton's & 1/3 Jack Daniel's Rye
    5. Eagleton's & 1/3 Woodford Reserve Double Oak

Wife did two separate tastings, with water & pretzels in between each. She waited an hour and repeated the tasting. Got same results both times.

Here's her rating:

1st. Eagleton's & Jack Daniel's Rye
    2nd. Eagleton's & Woodford Double Oak
    3rd. Eagleton's & Ole George Rye
    4th. Straight Blanton's
    5th. Eagleton's

I for one think Eagleton's is better than straight Blanton's (to me ER has a little more up front flavor, while B has a little longer finish, otherwise they're kissing cousins IMO), and I too thought it w/ the JD Rye was awesome and better yet. My second choice also was it w/ Woodford Double Oak.

Fun stuff!

Next, I will continue the quest by using our two favorites from this test among some other mixes. What I want to eventually do, like with my rib rub and my sauce, is get a mixture that we both pick over the others and it'll be "our" bourbon blend. Since the G-man won't let me distill my own I have to do it this way.

Results to follow whenever this happens!

Very interesting. I love Eagle Rare but never thought about blending it with anything else. You say the Eagleton is better than the straight Blanton's. How does it compare to straight Eagle Rare? You could turn this into a fun event like they do with wine blending events. I might have to try this sometime.

Comment

Cool deal, Brother! I mix my bourbons pretty much daily...Buffalo Creek, Buffalo Mark, Maker's Creek most commonly.
      I'll haveta start includin th JD Rye, good stuff!

Comment

Gotta love science experiments ... ...

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Only in the name of science you know. (Cheers!)

Originally posted by SoCal Chris View Post
        Very interesting. I love Eagle Rare but never thought about blending it with anything else. You say the Eagleton is better than the straight Blanton's. How does it compare to straight Eagle Rare? You could turn this into a fun event like they do with wine blending events. I might have to try this sometime.
        Yeah I'm going to geek it out soon. When I find the final blend we like (which will take many more trials) I'll then get really picky as to amounts. I'm talking eye-dropper, mL-in-ounces picky. I want to find a specific mixture that's killer. But for now just sloshing it together to get a starting point.

To answer your question I think Eagle Rare has a bit more flavor right away, but a quicker finish. Whereas Blanton's is more muted at first, but then comes alive later and has a long flavorful finish that keeps going & going. My idea to mix the 2 was to get both those traits in one glass. And I'm simply using those 2 because the wife & I really like them, and they're very similar in taste, so they're a good starting point. Rye has an herbal "bite" typically, so I thought different ryes would add a little pep to those smoove boys.

Comment

Anyone try this with beer?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Good idea, I'm sure someone has. Although sipping 5 trials of bourbons has quicker side benefits....

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea but in succession

• Willard
            Willard commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. But my short lived experiment failed. Then I weenied out. My passion for the many beers of the world is nearly on the level of being a Pit member. My experiment insulted the 2 beers and I was shamed into exile 😁

Click image for larger version

Name:	074E6A3D-A74C-4770-8E4F-D990C1544847.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	486023 This is my Son-in-Law’s bartop. I’ll have to show him this thread when he gets here (Florida) from Lafayette, La on May 4. He may want to experiment some himself. He may even bring a couple along with the tomahawk steaks he rumored to be bringing!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a good assortment. I've never tried Michter's or high West but I've heard they're ok, never tried Monkey Shoulder either, but I have tried Hibiki and I like it!

Huskee i "sampled" about 5 or 6 of them. They all have their own character and I had fun! Before the fun , Knob Creek has been a favorite of mine. After the fun, it still is. Cheers!

Comment

I will have to get my hands on some Blanton's first and here lately it hasn't been easy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here