Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blanton's vs. Eagle Rare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great experiment. Been meaning to do some blind taste tests again. I'm going to have to have a whisky tasting party.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Fun and eye opening!

Yay! I've got Blanton's coming my way. Now I get to do a taste test with my wife with her 4 faves- Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Blanton's, and Makers 46. Might have to do that when the month-aged brisket is on the smoker. Who wants to come? 😁

Comment

So I was at Costco looking for Blanton’s. They were out - shocker! 🙄 I saw a bottle of Eagle Rare and thought in the back of my head...I think Huskee likes this. So I bought a bottle. Now I’m reading this thread - JACKPOT!!! I love Blanton’s but the price is a killer. My Eagle Rare was $31. Cant wait to try it. Another victory bc of the Pit!!

Comment

It's all about what you like and what you are willing to pay. Bourbon prices have gotten out of hand. This to will pass once the fad moves on to the next hip thing. We bourbon lovers just need to wait it out and try and find those affordable bottles that will satisfy our taste.

I am a big fan of Blanton's. It was my go to bourbon until the price increases. I've tried Eagle Rare in the past and was ho hum about it. May need to give it another go.

My everyday currently is Basil Hayden. Quite often available at my Costco.

Comment

For the price Blanton's is rubbish! Just tried Trader Joe's 15 year Irish whiskey and it's a winner. Fruity (which I dont usually like) but has a nice depth & richness to it. Reasonable @ $33.

Comment

Too lazy to read to see if I said this above, but Eagle Rare has some good flavor up front, but too quick a finish. But a GREAT value. Lately I've been preferring Buffalo Trace myself, it's a little ballsier, same mashbill, just a year or two younger and blended, whereas Eagle Rare is single barrel so you'll get some variance from bottle to bottle.

Blanton's has a long lingering finish. But to me, Blanton's is too smooth and overpriced. My brother in law & nephew go snowmobiling in Canada, entering near Sault Ste Marie, MI. At the duty-free shop there they have an unlimited supply of Blanton's there (pallets of it, literally), $42 US. To me, it's a great $42 bourbon, but even if I could find it near me I don't think I'd pay the regular $60-65 for it any more. A local liquor store has a couple bottles but he told me he's charging $85, because he'll get it...good luck I told him. It's not that good. The ones I do have I feel guilty drinking because of how rare it is...that's no way to live!!

Comment

• Larry Grover
            Larry Grover commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried Eagle on a cruise ship one time. It was ok, didnt blow me away. $42 for Blantons is a deal because you can sell those bronze horses to collectors which brings the total cost down further.

I just read through this whole thread--didn't know it existed until today's posts. Thanks for doing the comparison, Huskee and for giving your updated opinion as well. Very enlightening. I'd love to find some Buffalo Trace where we live but so far it's a no-go. Blanton's I can get all the time. Go figure.

I heart Blanton's but then I don't sip hard whiskey very often--maybe a couple of times a month. Usually single malt scotch is my go-to (Laphroig preferred), but when I'm in a bourbon mood it's Blanton's or Angel's Envy.

Kathryn

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Blanton's and Eagle Rare have the same mashbill. They are from the same distillery. Blanton's is aged longer, and I think the distillers pick the "better" barrels for Blanton's. I love Eagle Rare. Between that and Old Forester 1920, I can't pick my favorite bourbon.

It's like the difference between Weller 12 year old and Pappy Van Winkle.... same distillery, same mash bill. The "tasters" pick the better barrels to age longer for Pappy. The next best barrels age 12 years for Weller 12, then the next best are Weller Antique, then down to Weller Special Reserve. I'm not sure what they do with the barrels that don't make the cut for WSR.

I quite like Blanton's, but to me it's not as good at the price as Old Forester 1920 is... and I can find OF1920 on the shelf any day. I've only seen Blanton's in a store once, and I had to ask the manager if he had any hiding behind the service desk to get that one.

Comment

Huskee I guess I'm going to have to do a taste test when I next get some Blanton's. I tried the Eagle Rare last night and I didn't think it tasted so much like Blanton's that i'd be confused. I think Blanton's has such a distinct flavor that I'd recognize it...to be determined. That said, I liked the E.R. but agree with you - it's a quick finish. But the price point is amazing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here