Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unopened pre-prohibition bourbon.....over 100 years old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unopened pre-prohibition bourbon.....over 100 years old.

My brother's found this while cleaning out some cabinets at my grandfather's cottage. Thought it was neat so wanted to post. Anyone estimate a value? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	355781Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	355782Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	355783

Not a collector, or high-roller, but jus' gotta say:
    That there is pretty doggone cool!!

Comment

WHOA!!! That is so awesome! I bet it is worth something. How cool is that? It's like when I find old CI pans. SO COOL!!! Nice find.

Hahaha, on the label, "For medicinal purposes only."

So I was jus doing some digging and it says that anything pre=prohibition era is highly collectable. And your bottle is in VERY good condition, when compared with others I saw.

So I sent an email to a guy that was looking to purchase one of these bottles. Not sure if he bought it or not. But I sent him an email, so we will see what happens.
      Link for the discussion is below.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd I think we'll just leave that joke untold. When in doubt... :-)

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik Yup. My main question was whether you thought my comment as it was should be left up. I won't be at all offended if you want to take it down.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, no issue there gcdmd, we're good.

I found this site that gives appraisals. I don't know anything about them, but it's a start:

Comment

I think you might have something there. The label is still intact and the seal isn't broken. Of the few pictures I have found online, none are in the kind of condition your is in. I would hold on to that and be carful with the label until you find out what it's worth. And if you hear anything, LET US KNOW!! I love stuff like this.

Comment

Well I got an answer from the guy I emailed. He said he'd pay $1000 for your bottle, right now. He seemed very interested and wants to contact you. Let me know if you want his contact info.

Comment

That is amazing! What a neat find.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              Well I got an answer from the guy I emailed. He said he'd pay $1000 for your bottle, right now. He seemed very interested and wants to contact you. Let me know if you want his contact info.
              Im in Vermont, the bottle is with my brother's in ID so it's not in my possession. We are going to make a few calls to see about an appraisal but will keep the thread updated with what happens for fun. Glad others thought it was neat too.

Comment

This is way cooler than the May-era expired corned beefs I found a few days ago in the bottom drawer of my fridge...

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I see dollars rolling in for you two gents, Huskee and RonB :-)

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man, I got three of those corned beefs myself. I don't think it's worth the $20 or so to try them out, even if they are pickled.

• GregS
                  GregS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got you both beat. I keep some packaged foods in my desk at work. I call it my post-apocalypse food. I have a bowl of Chunky Sirloin Burger soup with an expiration date of November 24, 2009. Although I can't beat the home canned tomatoes.

It has to be better than the 4+ year old 2 liter of Mountain Dew that my wife's grandparents brought to a family gathering awhile back.

Comment

• lemayp
                  lemayp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That stuff never goes bad...

• Sephon
                  Sephon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or good.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  100% Agree with, an' fully endorse what Steve R. lemayp Sephon said, previous, like. .

So what is bourbon anyway?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bruce54 Growing up I only knew Schlitz, Miller Lite, all the Bud's, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Crown Royal, Vodka, Schnapps.....

• choffert
                  choffert commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Delicious...

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breakfast

What?? There's some food, too...

So cool, keep us posted!

Comment

Very neat find! Congratulations.

Comment

Wow. Cannot believe it's in such a good condition. Congratulations!

Something I'm always curious about very old spirits is... do you reckon they'd taste better than today's or not? Not that I'll ever find out: $1000 a quart works out at about $30 for a single pour...

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      With whiskey, its aging is done in the barrel and stops when bottled, unlike wine. It just gets old after that point. I'm betting it's not so fine. Drinkable at best.

• GregS
                      GregS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Friend just sent me pics of the menu at a bourbon and scotch bar. Johnnie Walker Blue, $80 per shot. Pappy Van Winkle, $150 per shot.

• dtassinari
                      dtassinari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Best consumer price online for a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue is $230. Let's call it $250 with shipping. That works out at $9 per ounce. Bars pay nowhere near that, so that's a 10x markup. I'm in the wrong line of business...

Had an aunt reply saying it was my grandmother's birth year so either she or my grandfather may have grabbed it for that reason.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here