Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireball sued for false advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireball sued for false advertising

Fireball tries to market itself as whiskey but Fireball is malt liquor and chemicals.

A class action that alleges the branding of Sazerac Company’s Fireball Cinnamon beverage is misleading in that it is almost identical to that of its Fireball Cinnamon Whisky, except the product does not contain whisky.

Its getting bad. I'm scared to let my kids bring over friends. What if they get hurt and sue.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point, bourbon is bourbon, scotch is scotch, Tennessee whiskey is Tennessee whiskey. My problem is an individual suing them. I mean there is no reason other than to get money. There is no reperations, or damages.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter I think there could be a legitimate case for damages. Taking a shot of fireball and being instantly transported back to some of your worst college parties could be serious mental anguish.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      If we are not going to allow individuals sue companies, what's the alternative for keeping companies honest? A government agency that looks into and enforces such things?

If the suit is truly frivolous, it will be resolved quickly through a motion to dismiss.

I'm tired of people filing frivolous suits and getting money for nothing while I work for what I have. So, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and get free money. With all of his recent fame and fortune I decided to sue Panhead John and get me a share of that internet money. I've met PJ in person and, while he has a good face for radio, his head looks nothing like a pan.

Comment

Ahh.... OK this isn't about Fireball Whiskey, it's about another product that they make which is NOT whiskey. The complaint is that they use effectively identical labelling, just with the word 'whiskey' removed:

The 11-page case explains that the front label of Fireball Cinnamon, often sold at supermarkets and convenience stores in small, 99-cent bottles, appears identical to the brand’s Cinnamon Whisky, save for the word “whisky.” However, unlike Fireball Cinnamon Whisky, Fireball Cinnamon is a malt beverage that does not contain distilled spirits and is only flavored to taste like cinnamon whisky, the complaint argues.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        So even worse

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, okay. I was at a bottle shop the other day that was selling a Hot Toddy and I asked what alcohol was in it and he said Fireball because he didn't have a liquor license.Then I saw this headline and assumed all Fireball was malt liquor. Now I know and I still don't care because I don't drink that crap 😂

If people just stuck to the actual Fireballs..

BuyMe

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Love those! And lemonheads!

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Use to drop those in Zima back in high school and lemon heads and jolly ranchers!

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to eat on those all the time.

I get that it could be misleading for those that aren't actually reading the label but it does seem like a money grab. I mean, I don't think that a person doing shots of fireball is probably very concerned with what they're putting in their body at the time 😉

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you are right. I can attest that when I was younger and doing shots of anything I was much more concerned about someone else’s body than mine.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Well put Oak Smoke haha

On a side note, Fireball is a big part of the reason Buffalo Trace had the Billion$ of dollars to help fund their massive recent expansion. Another side note, one bad experience with Fireball when I was a dumb young'un and I haven't touched the stuff in a very long time.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Just takes one experience

• luvthemstillers
        luvthemstillers commented
        Editing a comment
        It's quite ironic that Buffalo Trace's parent company, Sazerac owns both Fireball and Southern Comfort and most likely makes more money off of those 2 brands than any of the coveted Buffalo Trace hard-to-find/limited-release products.

It seems to be deceptive advertising. A lawsuit is one way to remedy that.

Comment

ain't mad about this one, it seems legit

Comment

Forget it. Fireball does not work. I tried to use it to make cinnamon toast, and it just made it soggy. Ruined the toast.
          There is no warning label for this. I smell a class action lawsuit in the making.

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
            Fireball tries to market itself as whiskey but Fireball is malt liquor and chemicals.

https://www.classaction.org/news/fir...action-alleges
            I hope there aren't any class action lawsuits for false posting.

According to the posted link, Fireball is being sued for misleading labeling, not false advertising.

As for marketing itself as whisky (that's how they spell it), their whisky products are whisky, not malt liquor and chemicals. And this is not the claim of the cited lawsuit.

The lawsuit is over the fact that their 'Fireball Cinnamon' product, which is malt liquor based, is labeled so similar to their 'Fireball Cinnamon Whisky' products that it misleads consumers into believing they are getting whisky. Also, that the phrase 'Malt Beverage With Natural Whisky & Other Flavors and Carmel Color' misleads consumers into thinking it contains Natural Whisky, and that it should read ' Malt Beverage With Natural Whisky Flavor & Other Flavors and Carmel Color'

Or, to put it less politely, the lawsuit is saying that the client and others are too stupid to read and understand the label, therefore Fireball is taking advantage of them.

The reality is that the people who consume it do so because it tastes good, it gets them a buzz, and there is a good chance it will get a guy into a chick's pants. They aren't really concerned how the alcohol got there, or even its quality. The other reality is that lawyers need to make a living, and this is how they do it.

Fireball makes different products to comply with laws regarding sales of alcoholic beverages. Their flagship product is 'Fireball Cinnamon Whisky' which is 66 Proof. They also make a 'Fireball Whisky 42 Proof' so that they can sell in certain Ohio markets which do not allow the sales of higher proof products. Then they have 'Fireball Cinnamon' the subject of the lawsuit. It is for the markets that don't allow distilled products. All of this is response to consumer demand and is addressed on their website FAQs.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (fireballwhisky.com)

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I explained that above to rickgregory

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, you did that while I was typing my post.

In North Carolina you can't but liquor in a convenient store,so it would only be in an ABC store.

Comment

I learned all the important stuff parking at Blue-N-Hall…
              But they didn’t say a thing about reading liquor labels…
              Most of my jars don’t even carry labels…

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here