Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiskey barrel runs dry... Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiskey barrel runs dry... Why?

I was given a mini oak barrel for aging whiskey and I filled it with water for a week and then drained that and filled it with whiskey. I don't know how much time passed, but all the whisky had evaporated when I checked it. Now I'm afraid to try again.

I know Huskee has experience with these things.

I know it is not uncommon to lose SOME of the whiskey in the barrel - but ALL of it? How many years has it been sitting?

This worries the heck out of me, as I've 4 750mL bottles of Buffalo Trace I was planning on putting in a barrel to age a little more, but now I'm afraid of losing my stash! Buffalo Trace is near as rare as hen's teeth 'round these parts!

Please tell us the brand of the barrel you have, as well, if you don't mind. I know there are several companies out there that do this, but I'm thinking if you'd had a LEAK, you have some kind of residue left over where it dripped out and dried?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely under a year. I lost 1.75L of Eagle Rare. I'll go check the barrel brand and get back to you.

Are you sure your girlfriend didn't drink it?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, she bought me the barrel so perhaps it was a very clever trap she laid?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      better than the kids... kids cut it with water to make it look like they didn't touch it

Comment

I suspect some 'quality control sampling' has taken place. You shouldn't dry the barrel up unless it sat there simply way too long. I usually lose maybe a quarter of mine when they sit 6 mo, maybe a third max, but I don't usually go that long. My sweet spot has been 3-5 months. Too long can be too long.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't think I left it that long. Maybe I'll go with a lower-shelf whiskey next time and set a reminder at 3 months.

Ouch!!!!
      I've heard of Angel's Breath in regards to whiskeys aging for decades in barrels.
      That barrel must have gone jogging and been panting like a fat old man.
      Wondering if you should have used some less expensive rum or rye to get the staves to swell other than water.
      Suggestions of not letting it sit as long may be the way to go also.

Comment

Sounds like the angel took way more than her share!

Comment

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          My genetic background is mostly Welsh and Irish. I've learned there are some angels we just don't trust. So we drink it before we need to cast blame.

Perhaps the oak barrel was not sealed or stored correctly?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Perhaps but I sure thought it was. I never saw any evidence of leakage.

My dad and good buddy have these, but I don’t think they let the age long periods. I know they lose a bit, but never mentioned that much.

maybe another water soak prior to the next aging will help with minimizing it a bit for your next age?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely going to do another soak. I'll probably go fill it up tonight.

I have had the same experience with evaporation with a handle of Makers in a glass bottle,,,,tightly sealed
        I am still a lil bit dumb founded,,,,
        it’s happened more than once,,,,

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          .🤯.

I've aged meads in 5 gallon whiskey barrels. It always amazes me how fast the level drops, and I live in a humid environment. Recently I emptied a couple of barrels that haven't been topped off in two years, only about two gallons were left in each but, my goodness, how good they taste! The Angel's really got their share but I'm happy with what was left, I blended them and won a gold at the Texas Mead Fest in February. I wonder how much disappears in larger wine and whiskey barrels.

Comment

UPDATE: I went down to the bar and started filling the barrel with water but it was leaking like a sieve! It was leaking so badly I couldn't get it to fill with the water on high. So I guess that's the answer it leaked out. But when this occurred it was sitting on my desk so I don't understand how I would not have noticed.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe it was Hubie and Bert....deem pesky meeses....
            I'm assuming this barrel has a finish of some sort on it so completely immersing it in water may get it to swell but ruin the finish.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            smokin fool immersion is my plan.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm here for you, we're not giving up on this....

I have been doing this for a while, I started with the oak barrels and lost a lot of good booze, the angles drink to much. I switched to 1/2 gallon mason jars with a chared wine stave in them and then vacusseald, stored in a dark place, came out great and no loss of product

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m thinking this may be your best option right here. Won’t be any angels breath outta Mason jars.
            Buy bourbon or whiskey keg and Bob’s yer uncle.
            Not sexy but effective.

For the most part those little barrels are useless. They're poorly made and leaky as hell. There's also the fact that you're trying to age a very small amount of booze, and the angels are gonna take their share. You can try repeatedly filling it with hot water, and maybe the staves will swell enough to seal, but it's unlikely. And if it's one of the ones with a nice finish and a spigot? Forget it, those are purely decorative. You'd be better off with a glass growler and some toasted oak cubes or spirals and an airlock. You won't get the evaporation you get in a barrel, but you won't lose as much booze.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Good points. I may abandon the idea in favor if your suggestions.

Everything I have read on these barrels is that it doesn’t make a difference as the whisky is already aged at the distillery and cannot be aged further. The same reason why saving a bottle for 10+ years makes no difference to the flavor for an unopened bottle.

I get it can still be fun to do but I’d love to hear of actual flavor profile improvements.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here