Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas whisky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas whisky!

Got to talking with a guy at a big spirits store locally. I told him I’m looking for something different than regular old bourbon or scotch. He pointed me to Balcones, specifically, Brimstone. He let me try the whole range of Balcones before buying this one. Really, this is outstanding and something that is in its own class. The rye was my second favorite which I’ll be getting soon I’m sure. The others, we’re OK, just not my thing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark-B; April 1, 2022, 04:02 PM.

I'm a big fan of Brimstone too. Its one of those either/or whiskeys: You either like it or you hate it. Reminds me of licking the inside of a BBQ pit but in a good way.

They smoke the grain over scrub oak when they make this, it is very smoke forward. It is the whiskey I chose for the Mr. Bones Memorial Rib Cook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedMrBones3_LI.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1199759

There are boutique distilleries popping up all over Texas, many have great offerings but limited or no distribution.
    Last edited by 58limited; April 1, 2022, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Balcone's is a winner for almost any palate across their line. If you've got a bourbon purveyor who stocks "exclusive" stuff, look for Balcone's with a signed label and bottling number. A tad pricey, but under $100 usually. Brings a whole new meaning to the word smooth.

Another good Texas distilled choice is Garrison Brothers, a wide range of blends and prices to match. None of it is cheap, but worth a sip if you can get a tasting.

Comment

Interesting, I'll look for it next time I'm in state.
        Uncle Bob brings up the major reason I'm can't get into bourbons or ryes whiskeys, most are too harsh for my palette.
        Guess I'm just a smooth guy....

Comment

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I’d stay away from the Brimstone if you don’t like it a bit "in your face". Honestly, some of the smoothest Bourbons are wheaters to me, aka, Makers line (46), and another easy to find is Larceny. One of my favorite cheap Bourbons is Elijah Craig Small batch. Pretty darn smooth too. My fav Scotch right now is Highland Park 12. Soooooo good!
          Last edited by Mark-B; April 1, 2022, 05:39 PM.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Mark-B I sorta gave up on bourbons and in all fairness the only bourbon I've tried recently is Makers so there are bourbons out there that would be closer to what I'm looking for, I just haven't found it yet.
          I'll keep Elijah Craig in mind.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here