Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Soul high-rye bourbon anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Soul high-rye bourbon anyone?

My BIL who's a real bourbon aficionado (as I am myself) brought this over to sample. I had never heard of Old Soul, and to be honest if I seen it on a shelf I can't say I'd pick it up not having ever seen it. It is made by Cathead Distillery in Jackson, MS. They are a relatively new distillery in the last state of the US to repeal prohibition.

This bourbon is fantastic!

Granted, this happens to be a "store pick" or "barrel pick", which if you're unfamiliar with this term means that the liquor store owner gets the privilege of tasting a few samples of single barrels of a given spirit from a given distillery, and they pick their favorite and the distillery bottles that particular barrel and puts a special label on it for that store. Store picks are therefore usually a couple notches above the norm. This one came from a liquor store in MI that is well known for its owner picking phenomenal store picks. So my BIL picked this one up on a whim, he hadn't heard of it either, and we were both glad he did.

Old Soul is 90 proof, whereas this barrel pick sits at 109 proof. I cannot speak as to how the regular ol' non-store pick version of this bottle tastes, but I suspect it too is plenty great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG8062.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1162699

Huskee , price point . . . . . or if I have to ask I cannot afford it?

Comment

Keeping an eye out for this one, thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

Originally posted by RustyHaines View Post
        Huskee , price point . . . . . or if I have to ask I cannot afford it?
        Regular is ~$45 and this store pick was $70. Pricey, but in this case worth it IMO.

Comment

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Huskee. I'm going to keep my eye out for this.

Mrs. Skinsfan & I really enjoy rye whiskey, and bourbon with high rye content.

For those who aren't familiar with barrel picks, you should note that there are some out there that are not any better than the standard products.

That's because some owners don't have the best palate, (and being an owner doesn't make one an expert), and some distilleries don't send, or make available, their best barrels. Some distilleries pick the barrel for you, (looking squarely at Knob Creek and VA ABC picks). We've found a couple stores that do amazing picks and some, not so good.

Unless it's prohibited by law, stores should let you "try before you buy" and the pick should be priced ~ retail. If not, find another store.

All that being said...enjoy!!
        Last edited by Skinsfan1311; January 21, 2022, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          100% agree with this ^

Good point Skinsfan1311 Store picks aren't always better precisely as you say. There's a store near me that I've excitedly bought a couple store picks from and I was not impressed. So my group of whiskey lovers stays away from that store's picks. But, typically speaking, you can expect them to be a notch better than regular. I am particularly a fan of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare store picks. Eagle Rare, being single barrel (although not labeled as such), can be very hit & miss, but usually store picks of it are very special.

Comment

"Store picks are therefore usually a couple notches above the norm."

That would depend upon the taste of the barrel picker. Your mileage may vary.
          Last edited by Bkhuna; January 21, 2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee - Last year, the owner of my liquor store got his first store pick of Buffalo Trace. I walked in one day and he gave me a bottle on the house. This is the same guy that saves one of the 2 or three bottles of Elmer T. Lee for me each year.

Having a good relationship with him means I get Eagle Rare when he gets it. Priceless.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! I have only tried Elmer once, and it was in a higher end restaurant before dinner, pricey enough that I only bought one pour, and long enough ago that I don't remember a thing. You are fortunate. I've heard many say it isn't worth the hype, but I'd love the chance to find out.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            @Huskee

Since the death of Mr. Lee a few years ago, the Elmer T. Lee isn't the same. I think I continue to drink one bottle a year because of nostalgia.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          Good point Skinsfan1311 Store picks aren't always better precisely as you say. There's a store near me that I've excitedly bought a couple store picks from and I was not impressed. So my group of whiskey lovers stays away from that store. But, typically speaking, you can expect them to be a notch better than regular. I am particulary a fan of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare store picks. Eagle Rare, being single barrel (although not labeled as such), can be very hit & miss, but usually store picks of it are very special.
          We're fortunate that a store near our sons house, (in Eldersburg, MD), has a couple owners that seem to hit most picks out of the park. They're proud of their picks and are excited to have you try them. The Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel proof, (isn't that a mouthful?), are insanely good and a steal at $69.00, which is a couple bucks less than the standard offering. I pick one up every time I stop in...I think I'm up to 5-6 bottles. It's pretty much impossible to find a barrel-proofer this good, at that price point. I just picked up this Rebel pick that is unbelievably good, and only $37.00
          Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof is a wonderful whiskey! I am not a JD fan but that stuff is definitely special! It is so rare up here, my BIL has one and he only brings it out for a small sample every few months. I still have yet to find one for sale. And yes, it's a fun one to say. We always say it then comically embellish the amount of 'barrels' we add to its name.

Not trying to hijack the OPs thread but I've pretty much given up trying to acquire a taste for bourbon.
          I had a glass of Makers while Qing some chops last night when it hit me....bourbon just wasn't going to work just as Scotch and Rye whiskey before it.
          Gotta face the fact that I'm not a brown liquor guy....show me gin and vodka even rum, even dark rum, I'm there.
          Not to say I'll turn down a glass when offered but as a sitting down to drink drink....not likely.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            That's perfectly ok too! If you were young I'd say give it a few years, but yeah must not be your thing. I actually hated it the first few years, couldn't understand how people got all "into" whiskey. Gross, tastes like gasoline. But slowly my tastes changed and I learned not only to appreciate it but to taste subtle differences between brands and notice favorite qualities in the different brands and types.

• RustyHaines
            RustyHaines commented
            Editing a comment
            smokin fool thankfully we all have our own taste buds ! I struggle with many clear liquors and am a bourbon/rye/Irish whiskey fan. But interestingly, I detest Scotch . . . . . just cannot stand it. Short story, there is no right or wrong, just follow your taste buds. We are all adults here, I think :-)

Originally, drank mostly scotch. Somehow got turned on to Wild Turkey 101, that was me for several years. Floated around to BT, Bookers, n Blanton's.
          Now we have a distiller just across the river called New Riff. Very respectable, all btls $49.95 with proof of 90 to 115. I am very impressed and they have a high
          proof Rye that is quite nice. Never was a Rye drinker before. Cannot wait to take their tour. Prob been open 8-10 yrs nowNew Riff on distilling wheated bourbon=...https://www.drinkhacker.com/2021/12/...eated-bourbon/
          Last edited by Alan Brice; January 22, 2022, 09:48 AM. Reason: This kind of explains New Riff's ideas about "New Riff distilling" heritage wheat grain fr local baker.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice choices! I love New Riff. I drive through your area on my way to KY (well I used to, until my wife read stories about the big bridge being worrisome to authorities so now we go the western route down). I guess I never realized they are in Cincinnati. Ryes are my favorites, I get such a sweet herbal bubblegum flavor from most ryes.

Originally posted by Alan Brice View Post
          Originally, drank mostly scotch. Somehow got turned on to Wild Turkey 101, that was me for several years. Floated around to BT, Bookers, n Blanton's.
          Now we have a distiller just across the river called New Riff. Very respectable, all btls $49.95 with proof of 90 to 115. I am very impressed and they have a high
          proof Rye that is quite nice. Never was a Rye drinker before. Cannot wait to take their tour. Prob been open 8-10 yrs now.
          I love New Riff.
          A friend of ours lives across the street, from the distillery, and used to pick it up for us, until it became more available around here.
          They distill their own juice and it's very good.
          Last edited by Skinsfan1311; January 21, 2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here