Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiskey, Scotch or Bourbon question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can’t go wrong with anything from Wild Turkey. 101 is our house bourbon, and we usually have a bottle of Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit (both a little above your stated budget) in the house for special occasions.

Comment

Makers would be a fine choice to offer up. Especially if people will be mixing the bourbon. If you really like your friends and they will drink it neat, Buffalo Trace is, like a few have said, even better.

Costco sales a few varieties, Maker’s Mark being one, and bigger bottles, so a little more than what your budget is, but provide you a 1.75L bottle for a little longer.

One bottle that was just given to me that I have enjoyed is Redemption Rum Cask, finished in a Caribbean Rum cask, has a nice flavor to it, smooth and offers something that is different that most would like to try. It may be just over the $30 limit though.

just a thought. Have fun!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Makers is Always a Good Choice, an a Staple in my Bar.

Might havedta try t' hunt me down some Redemption Rum Cask.

Sounds Right Up My Alley.

Ever since Huskee published his Old Fashioned recipe, I’ve been keeping Wild Turkey 101 bourbon and rye in the house. The bourbon is inexpensive as bourbon go, and great for making a whisky sour or old fashioned. I’ve not compared it sipped neat side by side with something pricier like Elijah Craig, but for the price, it’s now my ‘house bourbon’.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Joey877 Agreed. The 3 Four Roses I tried blind with WT 101 were Small Batch, Small Batch Select, and Single Barrel. I too really like Small Batch and SBSelect, but beside WT101 I was surprised how much more yeasty and harsh they tasted. So Small Batch got bumped from my personal top 3, but it's at 4th plc now, not bad. If you can ever find a Single Barrel Barrel Proof = awesome! They reserve the best barrels for that, otherwsie I'm not a big Single Barrel fan, it's too dark and leathery for me.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris Wow, EC here is a couple bucks more than Buffalo Trace, so maybe $30-35, depending where you find it. It is awesome though. It stands beside Buffalo Trace and WT 101 in my Top 3 Best Affordable Bourbons. Crazy how states all have some for of silly hoops with liquor. Here in MI the state controls the prices, and we can't hardly get any vendors to ship liquor to us, Flaviar used to but last I checked even they couldn't any longer. Always something.

• Joey877
        Joey877 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Yep, that makes sense to me. I agree that Four Roses Small Batch Select is pretty good, but I do not think it is very good for the price point. At least around here it is about $20 more per bottle than the Small Batch, and I don't think it's any better. I like your top three. If you can find Cooper's Craft up there, give it a try.

You may find that you're not going to be able to please all of your whisky/whiskey drinking guests with just a Scotch. a bourbon, or a rye. I'm a Scotch fanatic and while I'll drink rye or Irish whiskey, I really don't like bourbons as I find them too sweet for my palate. Why not poll your guests? I wouldn't offer them any brands during the poll, just have them chose between the 3 and then go with the majority. Or, just pick one and let them deal. After all, the pleasure and enjoyment from the visit should be hanging out with family and friends over the holidays and not based on what libations you may or may not be serving!

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        All of us Ontario boyz now one of the curses of living in Ontario and Canada is liquor prices.
        Three or four bottles of even mediocre liquor is going to set you back $200+.
        At the LCBO yesterday where's the 6's of PBR for $9.90 plus deposit....

If your guests are drinking straight whiskey then they will almost certainly have a preference and you won't be able to please all of them. If they are mixing it, any of the suggestions here would be fine.

I'll also go against the grain here (pun intended) as I think Maker's Mark is completely overrated. I find the stuff undrinkable straight and only use it in mixed drinks. In my humble opinion, pretty much any bottle on the shelf that costs the same is better (I know, shots fired), and a lot that are cheaper. Four Roses Small Batch, Evan Williams, Bulleit, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Cooper's (if you haven't tried it, you need to - excellent bottle for less than $25), 1792 Small Batch, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek 9 year, the list goes on...

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread. My original point is that I do not think there is a "universal" whiskey that will please pure whiskey sippers as everyone will have their whiskey type of choice, be it Scotch, bourbon, Rye, etc., but anyone will appreciate the effort of putting something out (and something is better than nothing).

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        all those good bourbons you list, I’d cringe if I saw someone mixing with them!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent point, majority of drinkers will be mixing while there maybe one or two aficionados who want they`re drink of choice neat or rocks.

I added this on the other thread - but just make Old Fashions with a bourbon that is recommended on this thread - read up on it a bit prior and make a few to try, I think you guests would appreciate the Old Fashion served. If they like bourbon, they will enjoy an Old Fashion that you mix up and serve for them.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I know a guy with a great OF recipe!

Comment

Maybe, since your guests know that you and your family are non-drinkers, they'll bring their own favorite bottle, whether it's spirits, beer or wine. People can be pretty intuitive about that sometimes.

Kathryn

Comment

Buffalo Trace, for my money, is one of the best mid-range ($23-27) Kentucky Bourbon Whiskeys on the market. My local liquor store cannot keep it on the shelves because it is so popular.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Starsky
            Starsky commented
            Editing a comment
            If you can find "DUKE" I've found it to be slightly better than Buffalo Trace IMO. Same price point. I believe John Wayne's son is behind it

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here