Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Whisky and Bourbons (Non-KY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next to cooking, sampling different bourbons is one of my favorite hobbies. I have tried bourbons from all over the US and at almost every price point. I have found there is no right or wrong. I know people who like Screwball and while it is not for me, if that is what they like, good for them. My all time favorite bourbon is Blanton's Small Batch. Some others worth sampling in my opinion include Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (probably one of the best values out there); Wyoming Small Batch Bourbon; Woodford Reserve; Buffalo Trace (another good value); Old Elk and Heaven's Door. You mentioned you don't like rye, but there is an interesting outlyer called Lip Service. It is a rye with a high corn mash bill (49%) that is finished in wine barrels and while like you ,rye in not my favorite, I rather enjoyed it and at $30ish/bottle it is worth a shot..... pun intended

Cheers!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Blanton's too is considered high rye, but to me it's hard to tell.

Sugar House Bourbon Whiskey - grain to glass right here in Utah.

Bourbon Whiskey - Sugar House Distillery

They have some limited states they deliver to. Their Gold Rum is also lovely. I need to try their rye soon.
    Last edited by jerrybell; August 24, 2021, 07:49 PM. Reason: Whiskey sour - nuf said?

Comment

I'll give a shout-out to my good friends at Liberty Pole Spirits in Washington PA: https://www.libertypolespirits.com/

They are Family owned and operated, and their distillery / meeting house pays tribute to the role the Whiskey Rebellion played in Western Pennsylvania’s history. During the Whiskey Rebellion, when citizens opposed the excise tax on whiskey, they demonstrated their opposition by planting liberty poles throughout the county. They use bloody butcher corn in their bourbon mashbill, which brings a unique earthy flavor, and their rye is a faithful representation of the old Monongahela style which was extremely prevalent prior to Prohibition.

Comment

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Being originally from the area too, luvthemstillers, I really appreciate your reference to the Whiskey Rebellion. Talk about upset local distillers, eh !?

I would add it played a substantial role in early US history by testing the "federalist" and "non-federalist" philosophies and invite any so inclined US history students to read about this very interesting historical happening.

I forgot about Washington state's Woodinville Bourbon, it's great too. I have a couple bottles in storage.

Comment

Since you already found Blacones, their rye is a worthy purchase. Tasted blind many would not identify it as a rye. Great chocolate profile.

Comment

Westward Distilling in Portland Or. Available for online shipping. They do really good single malt whiskeys. If you really want to take the plunge they have a whiskey club that puts out limited releases every 3 months.

Comment

I second anything from Bowman distllery.
            I'm surprised that we're two pages in and no one has mentioned Jack Daniels single barrel or George Dickel whiskey. My favorite non-Kentucky American whiskey is Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof. It's a tad pricey, (~ $70.00 when not on sale), but worth every penny.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here