Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elijah Craig "Toasted Barrel", a double-oaked, finished, bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elijah Craig "Toasted Barrel", a double-oaked, finished, bourbon

Many of you whiskey hounds are likely familiar with Elijah Craig, it's a very good affordable ($30-ish) bourbon. Some of you EC fans may also know they make a couple different expressions, such as their 'regular' small batch, a rye, a barrel proof, and an 18-year.

I'm here to tell you their Toasted Barrel is amazing. If you can find it don't pass it by, it is becoming a unicorn and you may not see it a second time. My brother in law and I both traveled to several stores when we heard it hit Michigan (him 4, me 9) and between the two of us we found 4 bottles total at the 13 stores we visited.

If you're familiar with a 'double oaked' bourbon, for instance Wood Reserve Double Oaked, then you know they take a regular aged bourbon that's ready to bottle & drink and age it in another barrel to develop extra richness and sweetness. EC's Toasted Barrel is their regular Small Batch 'finished' (aged again) in, as the name suggests, toasted barrels (instead of full-on charred like the initial aging) to add a rich, caramel-y, Werther's, S'mores kinda goodness.

This edges out my previous favorite 'after dinner' bourbon, "Woodford Reserve Double Oaked". Also in this same line, honorable mention goes to "Old Forester 1910, Old Fine Whiskey". IMO Elijah Craig Toasted barrel is the winner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG6753.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	1025573

Yummo! Any chance yer sendin out samples???

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I could but fellas with more 'thority than me say nuh-uh. They want Bonesy to buy his own so they git their share of the pie.

So I love Dragon’s Milk beer which is aged in bourbon barrels for extra richness. I also have been on a wheated bourbon kick.

It sounds like this would be right up my alley! I will ask around about double oaked bourbons.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't tell anyone, I did enjoy Dragon's Milk. 11% ABV. Be careful.

I’m going to start keeping a list of all the delicious sounding bourbons, beers, and Scotch that you experts keep highlighting here...and how the New Mexico distributor cartel sucks and NEVER EVER gets any of them to the shops (even big ones) around here. ☹️

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      That stinks. Michigan's not far behind you. Lots of my faves I go w/o but then I see others all over the interwebs finding them.

The first thing I wondered is how would it compare to Woodford’s Double Oaked. Glad you could reference and provide a comparison. I will be searing for this in hopes to get a bottle!

thank you for the rec!

Comment

• Arsenlael
      Arsenlael commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me know if you turn it up anywhere around here.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Arsenlael a fellow Rio Ranchoan!!!! Outstanding!

Will do!

Well, obviously could not find the Elijah Craig but bought some Woodford Double Oaked. I paid $60 for a bottle which I felt was a touch high but wow, it is some rich and flavorful bourbon. Worth every penny.

Now I need to see what else is worth trying...

Comment

EC in th House, right now!

Comment

Sitting on the deck currently sipping a bourbon, I'll be on the lookout. My local liquor store has a great selection of bourbon.

Comment

Sounds great, I’m gonna hunt for some tomorrow!!!!

Comment

Most double-oaked, or older, (15yrs +),whiskeys tend to be too "oaky" and sweet for me.

But that's me...I tend to drink spicier bourbon, rye's and higher-proof whiskey.

That being said, most Elijah Craig whiskey, (with the exception of the rye...I just don't like it), is solid and hits the right notes for the Mrs. and me.

For $30.00, I'll give it a try!

Even if I don't care for it, Mrs. Skinsfan really likes Elijah Craig.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              That avatar......just wrong........

Huskee If you enjoy toasted barrels and double oaked expressions, you may also enjoy Maker's Mark Private Select. They utilize their wood "finishing staves" to create any number of different flavor combinations. I have had several from this line that were phenomenal, and I actually had a chance to participate on a barrel pick with my whiskey club in person at the distillery.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes! I've had two of them and they are incredible. Not usually a big Makers fan but hose are special.

I'll keep an eye out for it

Comment

I, too, shall keep an eye out for it. I just tested myself to a bottle of Basil Hayden's 10 year old. It was expensive, but very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Arsenlael View Post
                I’m going to start keeping a list of all the delicious sounding bourbons, beers, and Scotch that you experts keep highlighting here...and how the New Mexico distributor cartel sucks and NEVER EVER gets any of them to the shops (even big ones) around here. ☹️
                As long as they have Wild Turkey 101, Old-Granddad bottled-in-bond or Old Granddad 114 & Maker's Mark, you're all set

People sometimes overlook them, because of they've been around so long, or it's "what their fathers drank" and that's a mistake. They've been around so long because they're delicious and reasonably priced.

I'm not a huge fan of regular Maker's but the 101,(harder to find), the cask strength and the 46 are solid. If they have Buffalo Trace on the shelf, buy it, as long as it's no more than $30.00. The Mrs and I prefer it over the regular Maker's and it used to be a relative bargain for ~ $23.00. Not anymore. For whatever reason, people started going nuts for it, (I forget the reason), and you couldn't find anywhere. Even now, it's usually overpriced and, in some places, it's even allocated. It's good, but not that good.

If you like rye whiskey, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding Rittenhouse or Old Overholt ryes. They're a downright bargain in the $20-$25 range and they're both very good. Knob Creek rye, in any iteration, is good and can be had for around $30-$35. Wild Turkey 101 rye and George Dickel rye are also good ones, and reasonably priced at ~ $30.00. A word of caution on the Dickel.....it has a distinctive and to some, off-putting, flavor that some people describe as a "Flintstone vitamin". I get that flavor from Dickely whiskey, but I like it. YMMV.

As far as Scotch goes, that's a tough one. Peated, non-peated, single malt, blends, etc. There are a ton of them, and lots of different styles. Personally, I prefer single-malt Islay whiskey. Laphroaig 10 year, Ardbeg 10 year are staples on my bar and just South of $60.00 in this neck of the woods, (Baltimore Metro area).

The Ardbeg Wee Beastie is a younger whiskey matured in ex bourbon & sherry casks. It's a solid pour for $50.00 and drinks like an older whiskey. For $20-30 more, Lagavulin 16 year, (also a staple), and Laphroaig 10 year cask strength are good ones. I was just gifted a bottle of Ardbeg Correyvreckan which is also a cask-strength whiskey, and I think that's anywhere between $90.00 and $115.00.

There are certainly more choices out there, (as our booze bunker will attest), I'm pretty sure that most of the whiskey that I've mentioned is easily found, pretty much anywhere.
                Good luck in your journey!
                Last edited by Skinsfan1311; May 8, 2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here