Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your holiday drink tradition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your holiday drink tradition?

Wondering if you have a Thanksgiving or general holiday drink tradition. Ever since I could remember my parents and family drank Southern Comfort Manhattans Dry, mixed 4:1 by the batch in a 4 cup measuring cup with a splash of green olive juice, served with 2 green olives... I know because it's been my job since probably late middle school. As I neared drinking age I got in on the fun too and it's been that way ever since. As I got older I realized this is not a common way to drink these but it always reminds me of the holidays because it's really the only time I have them. So, what's your holiday drink?

Spanish coffees on Thanksgiving morning and everyone has to wear a wig.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr Rub the rim of a heat resistant glass with lemon, coat the rim with sugar, then add 3/4 oz. of 151 rum and set it ablaze. Once the sugar is caramelized add 1/4 oz. of Cointreau, 1-1/2 oz. Kahlúa, and top off with fresh coffee. Garnish with whipped cream and freshly grates nutmeg.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      My recipe is quite different, rimming of the cup is the same, I prefer lime juice over lemon.
      Into the cup 1/2 oz Kalua, 1/2 oz Baileys with a dollop of Brandy and add coffee.
      Top with whip cream then drizzle Cointreau over the whip cream.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like I have some "research" to do

I work in the marketing department at a very large online retailer so in Black Friday and Cyber Monday my boss and I sit around on our couches in the evening refreshing the reports to see if we cross our big number goals for those days and do shots of Fireball. That is about the only real holiday drinking tradition I have.

Comment

I stash a few drinks around the house, sometimes outside if it's cold enough. Then I can "check on something" and have a quick treat, without looking like a lush.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Seek help, my man! 😄

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I should clarify. By 'stash' I mean a couple beers in the upstairs fridge, a couple in the downstairs fridge, and maybe a couple on the patio by the grill if the temperature is cold enough. My In-Laws think one beer is too much, so I dunno.

Homemande Bailey's-like drink Christmas Eve; Homemade egg nog Christmas day

Comment

A cold brewski with my turkey dinner. Used to be my mom wouldn't drink any beer but Budweiser (seriously - if a place didn't have Bud, she would get water), so when I came of age, that was the drink of choice. Now days I am kind of partial to Sam Adams.

Comment

Just enough alcohol to be able to deal with in-laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdy View Post
            Homemande Bailey's-like drink Christmas Eve; Homemade egg nog Christmas day
            I have to agree with the homemade Irish Cream. Quick and easy to make with a big cost savings.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife just whipped up a batch the other night while cooking dinner. I love that stuff. From what I witness strolling through the kitchen, she got a little heavy handed on the whiskey so I can't wait to give it a try tomorrow morning.

Apricot Brandy Slush

2 Cups Water
            4 Tea Bags
            1 Cup Sugar

2 Cups Apricot Brandy
            12 oz Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice (Thawed)
            12 oz Frozen Concentrated Lemonade (Thawed)
            3 Cups Water

Lemon Lime Soda (Sprite, 7up, Sierra Mist)

Boil 2 Cups Water
            Steep Tea Bags in water for 3 to 5 minutes
            Remove Tea Bags
            Add Sugar and dissolve

Let Cool

Stir in Apricot Brandy, Orange Juice Concentrate, Lemonade Concentrate and 3 Cups Water

Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze overnight. I use a shallow plastic tupperware container with an air tight lid.

To serve, scoop slush mix in glass and add Lemon Lime soda.

I usually go three parts slush mix to one part soda.

ENJOY!

Comment

Wild Turkey Rare Breed served neat in my Wild Turkey rocks glass. Slow sippin throughout the day.

Comment

A lot.

Comment

• wu7y
                  wu7y commented
                  Editing a comment
                  . . . of whatever is available.

• Beefchop
                  Beefchop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In all seriousness, our tradition is to have something made with an American whisky where corn is part of the mash bill.

Bourbon. Neat.

Comment

I’m boring I guess, as I am a beer guy. Right now I have a Russian Imperial Stout (13%) on tap that was aged in a Jack Daniels Barrel for 6 months, and an Old Ale (think big boozy porter - 11%) that aged in the same Jack Daniels Barrel for 2 years (we forgot about it). Both beers are very good ‘winter warmers’. For regular drinking there is an Irish a Red (5%).

I did get some champagne at the store tonight and OJ to make a pitcher of mimosas for breakfast, for the womenfolk to sip while we have breakfast and cook.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; November 27, 2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• au4stree
                    au4stree commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those selections are far from boring.

• Loren
                    Loren commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You barrel age your own beer?! Color me impressed!

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beefchop - haha thanks. I would love to have a snow bank to hide beer in though!

au4stree thanks - I enjoy them, just not into liquor, although I enjoy the occasional bourbon or whiskey.

Loren, the barrel aging is a venture with my local home brew club, that way multiple folk can brew 5 to 10 gallons of a given recipe, to fill a 53 gallon bourbon or whiskey barrel, or a 60 gallon wine barrel. I don’t think I would want to brew that much by myself for sure!

No traditions on drinks, but I should start one with something! Guess I’m always busy making all the food, I forget to grab a drink sometimes.

Comment

Cranberry juice. Glad I saw this. Forgot it in the truck.

Comment

• smokin fool
                      smokin fool commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ahh yes, good for the urinary tract that Cranberry juice

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here