Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pick your poison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick your poison

I laughed when I saw this:

$25 — ‘Pick Your Poison’ Glassware near the Harper's Mill neighborhood in Chesterfield, VA. Find items in For Sale & Free on Nextdoor - all listings are local.

We've had one at the clinic for years:

Click image for larger version

Name:	poison.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1375018

Comment

My mother enjoyed collecting antique glass bottles. One day, I was looking at her collection and noticed a beautiful brown medicine bottle. It was in mint condition with its original contents still sealed within. Then I read the label that said "Hydrogen Cyanide" and my firefighter Spidey senses just about made me jump out of my skin!! She didn't remember where she got it, but I knew where it was going and carefully, oh so carefully transported it to the county Haz Mat coordinator who had it properly disposed of.

Mom had a hard time understanding what it was and why I was so concerned about it, but when I told her this was the chemical used by the Nazis for their gas chambers she turned a lighter shade of pale.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Just thinking about the possibilities still gives me the willies. Having that thing fall and break open, then mom innocently grabbing some paper towels to clean it up, then the chain reaction of my stepdad finding her or a nieghbor or 2, then first responders. It's like a worst case training scenario in real life.

Hey CaptainMike - you reminded me of a poison bottle I found in an abandoned house when I was a kid. My Mother told me that a freed slave had lived in the house. The former slave told my Mother and her sisters that she was standing on the side of the road, (across the road from my Mother's farm), when General Lee went by on his way to Appomattox where he surrendered, and that Lee patted her on the head as he rode by on his horse, Traveler.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230209_184943[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	1375078

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230209_185030[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	1375079
      Last edited by RonB; February 9, 2023, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        My turn to say Wow! I'm currently reading book III of Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy titled Red River to Appomattox. I'm at the part where Grant was made the top general of the Union armies and Sherman is about to set off on his March to the Sea. I'm planning on seeing Appomattox and as many Eastern Theater Civil War battle sites as I can after the NC MeatUp. Monticello, Mt Vernon, and Arlington National Cemetery as well.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, if that bottle could talk....

We visited Appomattox many years ago, but I have forgotten what I saw.

We have also been to Monticello. We thoroughly enjoyed that. And when our son was little, we used to pick apples at an orchard near Monticello. There's a restaurant in the area called Miche Tavern. It serves a colonial style meal, and they have reenactors portraying famous people from the late 1700s strolling through the tables. It's normally crowded and we always went early before picking apples. They have a lot of tour busses stopping there too.

Comment

Bourbon, no wait, scotch, no wait, cigars....crap, uhhhhh

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here